43. Not Ready

*Third POV*

Marissa smiled as Bella talked with Charlie on the phone, her supernatural hearing able to discern their conversation. Bella was weakly snuggled against her chest again, "Well, you sound better," Charlie's tired voice noticed. Marissa couldn't help but giggle slightly at how awkward her father and sister were.

"I am," Bella affirmed, nodding, even if Charlie couldn't see it, "I feel much better."

"This whole thing must've put a kink in the honeymoon, huh?" Charlie joked.

Bella laughed slightly. "You could say that," she replied. Marissa saw Edward standing near the doorway, holding Bella's Styrofoam cup.

Charlie sighed slightly, "Otherwise, is married life treating you okay? Edward still walks on water and all that?" he questioned.

Bella shrugged again, not that Charlie could see that. "Yeah, but, I mean, it is different now," she stated, adjusting her position against Marissa.

Charlie sighed. "The important thing is that you're better and coming home soon, right?" he asked hopefully.

Marissa sighed sightly and pulled Bella close to her at the harsh truth that she couldn't tell their father, "Okay, Dad, I don't want you to freak out, but I'm going to a medical centre in Switzerland," she stated and braced herself ready for the blowback from her father.

Shocked, Charlie started freaking out, "What? No, no, you're not. You're not going to Switzerland. What are you... You said you were better," he stated. Marissa could hear his heart racing through the phone and his feet pacing the floor.

"I am," Bella tried to assure him.

"No, Bella. I'm getting on a plane. No," he stated, and Marissa could only imagine how worried he was.

"No," Bella explained. "It's more of a spa. And I'm sure I'd be better by the time you arrive anyway."

Charlie sighed, reluctant, "Bells... I don't know."

Bella tried to help him imagine, "Dad, don't come," she pleaded. "And picture me healthy, like I'm sitting on the couch with you, eating pizza or something," she suggested.

Charlie scoffed, "You want me to visualize?"

Bella shrugged, "They say that it helps. Just picture me like that—like I was. It'll make me feel better." Bella then noticed Edward in the doorway. "Dad, I got to go, okay?"

Charlie tried to get her to stay on the phone, "Bella."

Bella was quicker, "I love you," she stated and hung up the phone as Edward got closer.

"I'm sorry I've been so angry," Edward apologized while taking a seat by Bella's feet, "And I'm especially sorry to you as well, Mom."

Marissa looked at him confused, "Why're you sorry to me, Edward?" she asked.

Edward looked down. "I know you understand the baby better than anyone else, but I refused to listen." He reached over Bella and gripped Marissa's hand. "But I'm willing to listen now."

Marissa smiled at her son and squeezed his hand, "Apology accepted," she stated, placing their conjoined hands on Bella's stomach. Bella smiled at her sister and husband, happy they were getting along again.

Bella sipped from her drink, "I would be, too," she stated, understanding.

"I've left you alone in this," Edward sighed.

Bella giggled, "Marriage."

Edward smiled, "Well, they say the first year is the hardest," he stated before a look of confusion covered his face, "What was that?"