25: Bella Finds Out and an Intruder

*Marissa's POV*

It was early in the morning as the weekend passed and Bella and Edward had returned, it was time for school once again and I was riding with Jasper and Alice once again. We were laughing all the way to school but that however died when I saw Jacob standing out front of the school just as Edward and Bella pulled up in th Volvo, "Oh this won't be good," I muttered and hurried out of the car.

I hurried over just as Jacob blurted, "She's the one the red-head wants."

My heart sank as I stood next to Edward, "Victoria?" Bella questioned before realizing, "Alice's vision," I sighed and looked towards Edward as he reasoned.

"We were trying to protect you," he tried to reason.

"By lying to me," she stated and they just stared at each other before she continued, "Okay, we're gonna talk about his but..." she turned to Jacob, "You," he attention deflected from Edward to her, "Why haven't you called me back?"

His eyes narrowed for a second before replying, "I had nothing to say," I closed my eyes knowing that was not the response she wanted to hear. He turned away and climbed back on to his rabbit.

Bella hurried after him, "Well, I have tons," she expressed, "Hold on," I knew Edward didn't want her to do this so he tried to stop her but failed as she asked him to trust her to which he replied that he did but it was Jacob that he did not trust.

I sighed, "Bella," she looked at e hopeful, "Be safe," she smiled and hurried onto the rabbit with Jacob. Edward looked at me shocked and went to protest but I silenced him with a look causing him to cast his gaze to the ground as she and Jacob rode away to the Reservation.

"Mom," he started, "How could you let her go with him?"

I sighed and rubbed my forehead before replying, "You may not trust him but he knows if somethin happens to her again on his watch, that it won't be you he'd have to fear," I looked up at him with a smirk, "It's me," with that I walked into school with his hurrying to catch up with me.

-Time Skip-

That night Emmett, Jasper and I were running through the woods following an unknown scent that was left behind in Bella's room. We jogged up the steps towards the house, "Who was it?" Carlisle asked Edward, "Someone we know?"

"Just a strange," he insisted, "I didn't recognize his scent."

"A nomad passing through?" Alice suggested as she gripped Bella's hand.

Rosalie denied, "A passer-by wouldn't have left Bella's father alive."

Emmett, Jasper and I entered the living room at that point, "His scent disappeared about five miles south of Bella's house," Jasper informed as I went to stand next to Carlisle who greeted me with a kiss atop my head, "Someone's orchestrating this."

"Victoria?" Bella suggested.

Alice shook her head, "I would've seen her deciding," she denied.

"It has to be the Volturi," Edward insisted as his mind flitted back to their interaction not even several months ago.

"I don't think it's the Volturi either," Alice once again denied, "I've been watching Aro's decisions too."

"So, we keep looking," I explained causing everyone's eyes to drift to me, "WE also take shifts, guarding at Bella's house," this caused Rosalie to scoff.

"Another protection detail," she complained.

"Rosalie," Carlisle chided.

Bella shook her head, "No she's right," our attention diverted to her, "You guys can't protect me, watch my dad..." she trailed off at the various problems with the situation, "And look for an intruder."

"And look for Victoria," Rosalie added on.

"And keep yourselves fed," Bella sighed.

"I'm not leaving you here defenseless," Edward insisted, that's when an idea sprung to my mind, "No anyone but them," Edward pleaded.

Everyone's eyes turned to me, "Sorry Edward," I apologized causing his head to fall, "But we have no other choice," I sighed, "I'll call Sam and see if he can give us a hand on the protection detail," I walked out of the living room and into the kitchen where I pulled my phone out and dialed Sam's number.

"Hello?" his gruff voice greeted as chattered echoed in the background.

"Hi Sam," I replied causing the chatter to stop and I knew they were listening in.

"What can I do for you Marissa?" He asked.

I sighed, "I know it's a lot to ask but," I paused, "We have a bit of an issue."

"Go on," he encouraged.

"Well there was a foreign scent in Bella's room and we have reason to believe that this person may be after her," I explained, "I was hoping you'd be able to help out on a protection detail so we can feed as well as look for Victoria together," I stopped and waited for his reply.

He sighed, "It's a stretch with patrols but I guess we can make it work."

I smiled, "Thank you so much Sam," I appreciated.

He chuckled, "Don't worry about it, but in return maybe you could make up some of your famous chocolate cake?" he suggested.

I knew he just wanted the cake, "Of course I can," we said our goodbye and hung up.

I sighed before leaning against the counter, "Mom?" a calm voice called out, I turned and saw my now seventeen-year-old looking son, Victor, standing in the doorway, "Are you okay?"

I smiled and brushed my finger through his unruly curls, "Yeah Vic," I assured, "Just a little stressed with everything that going on."

He frowned and pulled me into a warm hug, "It'll be okay, we'll catch the intruder," he assured and brushed his finger through my hair.

I sighed, "I hope so," that's when another pair of arms wrapped around us, I looked up from my short stature to see Carlisle had wrapped his arms around the both of us. He smiled down at me before pressing a kiss upon my hairline and ruffling Victor's curls. I closed my eyes and enjoyed our little family moment for the time being.