Murphy's Law

I wanted to get this done while there were perfect targets in the city. Not that we couldn't bring them back into the city, but why do extra work when it's already done for you?

"Alright, let's go. The Sects was going to stay in the city tonight, so let's head to where they're staying. I'll follow you while invisible."

She nodded, and I activated my invisibility. Then we walked out the door. After about seven minutes of walking back toward the arena, I could see a crowd of disciples milling around, chatting and having fun. I also spotted the enforcer in place #2. Unfortunately, he was in the crowd, and now he needed to be separated without anyone noticing and following him.

"There he is. How shall we get him out of the crowd? It wouldn't do to have you followed by others," I asked.

"You deliver a note telling him to meet me around the corner." She took out a piece of paper, wrote her note telling where to meet her but didn't sign her name, then folded it and held it in the direction my voice came from and I took it.

"Alright, here goes."

We separated, with her going to the location, and I headed toward the target still cloaked in my invisibility. My plan was to put it into his pocket and somehow make him notice it's there. Maybe poke him where it is or whisper into his ear to check his pocket.

I made my way through the crowd, not having to be too careful about bumping anyone unless it was obvious, as there were enough people around that it would be easy to think it was some random person. When I reached our target, I slipped behind him and carefully inserted the slip of paper into his pocket. He didn't notice as he was chatting, basking in the praises of other disciples. I decided to give him a sharp jab with my thumb where his pocket was.

He flinched, and his hand flew toward his pocket, feeling around on the outside of his robe. Then he went into his pocket, pulled out the paper, and unfolded it, reading it. After he finished, he told the others he had something to do and left, going toward the location. Mission success!

After he made a few turns, he was standing at the corner, and Luna came out from around the other side. He was visibly shocked Luna was there with him.

Luna didn't give him time to question anything before stating, "I need your help with something."

Then she walked in the direction of her house, and he had no choice but to follow. I observed her; she seemed to be doing fairly well at covering how stressed out she was. It could only be seen from her being visibly tense and her hands shaking slightly. He tried asking what she wanted, but she just said she'll explain later.

After the seven-minute trip back to the house, we arrived, and she opened the door and entered. She walked straight to the table and sat down in the correct place. I breathed a small sigh of relief. I had been worried she'd forget and sit on the wrong side, which would cause no end of troubles. He followed in without waiting for her to say anything, and I slipped in behind him.

Luna picked up the wine and started pouring. "Close the door, then sit down."

He shut the door and sat in the chair opposite. I moved around and stood behind Luna. He slowly looked her up and down with a lecherous gaze, making me want to fillet him.

"What d-"

"I'll explain when we're both drunk enough." She picked up one of her glasses and tried to gulp it down but found gulping wine isn't so easy and started coughing. She pushed through it and started drinking more.

He picked up his cup and raised it to her, his face filling with lust, and took a drink. Luna finished the first and grabbed her second cup to start drinking.

Sweat suddenly appeared on the guy's face as he stopped drinking and tried to set his cup back on the table but fumbled spilled, red wine ran across the table onto the floor. He tried to stand but collapsed to the floor, dying.

Luna was trembling and looked like she was going to pass out as she came down from all the adrenaline coursing through her body. I grabbed her shoulders and gently leaned her forward onto the table so she wouldn't fall off the chair.

Hurrying over to the body, I started devouring his dantian where his core is first. It took about a minute to devour his core and another one to erase the body. After that was done, I started cleaning up the spilled wine while watching Luna rest on the table with her eyes closed and arms hanging limply over the edge. Cute.

After about 15 minutes, I had the wine cleaned up. I devoured all the cups and bought them again, as it was easier than cleaning them. I also replaced the wine.

I checked the harvest from this guy and was pleased; I had almost reached the late stage.

I patted Luna's back and said in a soft teasing tone, "Hey, you have some wine in your hair."

Her eyes flew open, and she sat bolt upright, pulling her hair in front so she could see it.

"W-where?"

I laughed. "I'm just kidding. If there was any, I'd have brought water to clean it up."

She turned around towards me and punched me in the chest. "Bastard!"

I snickered as I replaced the poison in the two cups. "Cute. Now, how about we go for the third place also from the Blood Moon Sect?"

She scowled before returning to normal and surveying the scene. "Alright, looks all ready; let's go."

We carried out the next two in the same manner, and they went smoothly. #3 from the Blood Moon Sect, #4 from the Sun Sect, and I reached the top of the peak stage. Luna got better quickly, no longer looking like she'd pass out from stress afterward.

On the fourth guy who took first place and is from the Sun Sect, we decided to change the method since he was only in the early stage while I was in the peak stage. Instead of using the poison wine, I'll just strangle him and save the cleanup of the wine I have to do every time. The plan is the same until he sits down, at which point it'll be my turn to strangle him with my garrote, saving all the cleanup. Luna also wont pour any wine so it doesn't make a mess.

Everything went relatively the same, except it took a while to find which room he was staying in since it was dark and people were now going to sleep for the night. Instead of putting paper in his pocket, I turned it into an airplane and sent it through the window into the candle lit room, flying past his face.

After Luna walked through the door and sat down, she motioned for him to sit opposite. He closed the door and sat down. As soon as he was seated, I dropped the cable over his head and tightened it.

His hands flew toward his neck as he tried to pull the cable away but couldn't even get his fingers underneath it. After trying for a few seconds, his face turned purple, and he stopped trying to pull the wire, realizing it was futile. Instead, to both my and Luna's horror, he drew the sword attached to his hip and slashed at Luna.