Bakery Bliss and Wanted Posters

A young man got out of the carriage and gave a small bow to us.

"Thank you for your help. My name is Ronald Douglas. If there is something I can help you with, please let us know. My family are merchants, and you helped save us some money since we haven't been robbed, so thank you."

Lila replied with a smile, "No problem; they were just our target practice."

When he straightened his back, he looked at me, then Lila. When he saw her, I thought I saw a flicker of recognition in his eyes, but then he shook his head.

"Are you on your way to Flamehaven?" I asked.

"Yes, is that your destination also? If so, would you like to accompany us? I'd be happy to pay you as guards for your services if you'd like."

That sounded like a good deal to me, faster travel and getting paid for it. It also benefits him too; having mages as guards would increase security, and if we were already going there, he wouldn't have to offer as much.

I looked at Lila. "Sounds good to me, you?"

She nodded.

"Alright, great! Come inside and sit down. What circle mages are you?" He motioned for us to follow him into the carriage.

"4th," I replied.

There was a pause in his movement, and he made a small choking sound, "I'm sorry, but I can't pay the normal fee for a 4th circle mage; my father would kill me."

I sat down on the seat, and Lila sat next to me, leaning against my side. "Don't worry about it; whatever you want is fine."

Truthfully, I don't even know what the fee for each circle would be, and besides, we're getting a faster ride.

"Alright, it should take us 2 days to reach the city; I can only give 4 silvers each."

I nodded, "Alright, sounds fine to me."

After that, he looked out the window, and I started cultivating. I'm thankful the seats in this carriage have thick cushions and absorb most of the bumps; the ones in the last world were enough to give me nightmares for life. Lila also started cultivating since there was nothing better to do while we traveled.

The carriage didn't stop till nightfall when the 3 guards set up camp. They each thanked us for the help earlier. They entered a tent, and Ronald slept in the carriage. They offered us a tent, but I declined, and we went to sleep on the blanket as usual.

When we reached Flamehaven, Ronald paid us, and we parted ways before entering the city. He said to come visit at the market his family ran if we needed anything. Lila and I waved goodbye.

There were guards at the gate checking identity papers. I once again had Kitty make some for me, but this time Lila as well. For some reason, Lila told me not to use her real last name but make it something else, so I chose "Lila Adney." By this time, I trusted Kitty enough that I wasn't nervous that they wouldn't work. After all, they were just some paper, and I don't even know what the point of checking was since it seemed so easy to forge.

As we walked through the gate, it revealed a medieval-looking town, but instead of filth everywhere, the streets were clean. Probably due to magic being present making it easier to clean up.

We walked farther into town side by side, looking around. There were many shops selling everything you could dream of and more. The street side was lined with stalls for vendors selling yet more things.

When we passed a bakery, I could smell the scent of fresh-baked goods. Even though I don't have to eat, that doesn't mean I won't if I find something good enough. This scent, it qualifies.