Escaping the City and Lila's Story

I wondered why they cared about a servant so much. Then I suddenly felt like an fool. I'd never thought about it since that day I asked her who she was, but now I realize I'd just assumed she was a servant, but no way could she be. There were enough clues, but the 1,000 gold bounty was what put it all together, though I really should have put it together before.

As soon as we entered the room, I spread out some random things to make it look like we would be coming back. Too many people had seen us yesterday for no one to come looking; 1,000 gold is a LOT of money.

After I'd finished, I turned to Lila, "Who are you actually? No one cares about a servant enough to issue a 1,000 gold bounty; you must be a noble at the very least."

She looked mildly insulted, "I never said I was a servant."

I made a motion to hurry up with the explanation while I was thinking about how to get out of the city, as well as who she was. I had speculations now, maybe the daughter of a disgraced noble family, but that still doesn't explain 1,000 gold.

Only a noble could pay 1,000 gold, so she's a noble. She said her second mother locked her in there, so she must have been the daughter of the first wife of a lord or something, then the first wife died and the second didn't want her to get the inheritance. But why not just kill her directly, I can't figure out.

"Lila Sena," She looked like I should know what she meant, but seeing I didn't, she elaborated, "as in, the Sena royal family of the Beastholm Empire where we are."

"Well, that explains it. So why didn't your second mother just kill you directly? Actually, explain later, we need to leave here now. How are we going to disguise you?"

"We can use illusion magic."

"No, it might be seen through by someone more powerful if they are checking people for that."

"What about a physical disguise?"

"Your hair is the problem; maybe a hat can cover it, then put your tail under your clothing."

"Then cast an illusion on top of it."

I nodded and quickly bought a large witch-type hat and a mage's robe; I also thought of adding a wig of brown hair. I used some rope to tie her tail to her body so she couldn't accidentally move it. After she put on the mage robe, I stuffed every last strand of hair under her hat and wig. Now she looked like a brown-haired human witch.

After that, we each cast an illusion altering her facial features. The idea is if someone looks through one illusion layer then hopefully they won't try to look through another. I gave her a new identity to pass through the gates exiting the city as no doubt they will be checking papers.

I activated my invisibility and told her to leave, and I would follow right behind. She nodded and left the room; we headed down the stairs and left the inn. I was keeping watch but never saw anyone looking oddly at her.

When we reached the gate, there was a line to exit. While waiting in line, Lila was fidgeting with her fingers and clothing. I placed my hand on her shoulder, which seemed to help her calm down a little.

While waiting I looked at the gate, there were more guards than when we came in as well as someone casting magic on everyone that was leaving. The guards didn't worry me; it was the mage casting magic, which I recognized as dispel magic; this would definitely dispel both the illusions at once.

I whispered in Lila's ear, "Remove your illusion magic."

She made a funny face as if wanting to ask how that would help, but decided to trust me and did it anyway.