Food allergies Upstead

Hailey is allergic to gluten. She had been since she was 17.

It was Hailey and Jay's anniversary and they decided to go out to dinner. When they got there Hailey immediately informed their waiter of her allergy. The waiter noted it and said there were labels on the menu. She decided to get surf and turf and parmesan truffle fries which said they were gluten-free. Their waiter had also assured them multiple times everything Hailey was getting was gluten-free. They ate their dinner and talked. After they were done they paid and went home. Hailey noticed her stomach starting to feel weird but thought nothing of it. She had eaten a lot of food. By the time they got home, she was starting to get nauseous. She figured she had gluten accidentally but wasn't exactly sure. Jay could tell she was uncomfortable.

"You ok babe?" Jay asked

"No I'm nauseous" Hailey replied.

"I'm sorry babe. What's going on?" Jay replied.

"I don't know. I feel how I feel when I eat gluten but everything I ate was gluten free" Hailey told him.

"I'm sorry babe do you think something was contaminated?" Jay asked.

"I don't know but I feel awful," Hailey told him.

"I know I'm sorry," Jay said as he pulled her into a hug. "Do you want the heating pad?" Jay asked when he pulled away.

"Yeah," Hailey replied.

"OK go over to the couch. I'll be there in a minute" Jay told her.

Hailey went to the couch and Jay went into the kitchen. Jay put the corn pack in the microwave. He got a glass of ice water and Pepto and waited for the microwave to be done. Once it was ready, he took everything out to Hailey. He slipped the corn pack under her shirt and gave her the water and medicine. She took the medicine and washed it down with the water.

"Thanks," Hailey said.

"Of course Hails I love you," Jay told her.

"I love you too," Hailey said as she kissed him.

Jay turned on the TV and Hailey rested her head on his shoulder.

"What do you want to watch babe?"

"Let's see if a Christmas movie is on" Hailey replied.

They saw that elf was playing and turned it on.

20 minutes into the movie Hailey's nausea got worse and she groaned,

"You ok?" Jay asked.

"My stomach hurts so bad.Im really nauseous" Hailey told him.

"Do you think you're going to throw up?" Jay asked.

"I don't know" Hailey replied.

Ok, it's ok. I'll be right back." Jay told her.

Jay went and grabbed the trash can and made some peppermint tea to help soothe Hailey's stomach. He brought everything back to her and kissed her head. Hailey drank some of the tea and then laid down with her head in Jay's lap. He rubbed her back until the movie was over. Once it was over he ran a warm bath and got in with her. They stayed there for an hour and then got out. Hailey got in bed and Jay rehated the corn pack. He gave it to her and crawled into bed next to her. They turned on the TV and watched Young Sheldon for a bit. He could tell she wasn't feeling good so he held her and rubbed her back. They fell asleep an hour later. Around 4 am Hailey got woken up by stomach cramps. They were really painful. She tried to go back to sleep but couldn't. She groaned in pain and Jay woke up.

"What's going on honey?" Jay asked.

"My stomach is cramping up really badly," Hailey replied.

"I'm so sorry babe," Jay said while kissing her head. "Is there anything I can do?"  Jay asked.

"Can you reheat the corn pack?" Hailey asked,

"Of course babe" Jay replied.

Jay went and reheated, and made a fresh cup of peppermint tea and ice water. Once he got back he pulled Hailey into his chest. She whimpered in pain at the movement.

"I know I'm sorry," Jay said as he kissed her head. "Try and get some sleep, Hails. I'm here I've got you" he told her.

She tried to fall asleep but couldn't because of how bad her stomach hurt. Jay felt her tossing and turning.

"You ok?" Jay asked.

"No, my stomach hurts so bad" Hailey replied.

"I'm sorry baby," Jay said as he started to massage her stomach. It took another hour and a half but she eventually was able to fall asleep. When she woke up her stomach wasn't cramping up anymore but she was still nauseous.

"How are you feeling babe?" Jay asked.

"I'm so nauseous" Hailey replied,

"I'm sorry Hails. Can you try and eat something for me?" Jay asked.

"I'm not hungry" Hailey replied.

"I know but you haven't had anything since last night," Jay told her. "How do a few pretzels sound" he asked.

"Fine" Hailey replied.

"You don't have to eat a lot I just don't want you to have an empty stomach. It could make your nausea worse" Jay said as he got the pretzels. He poured some in a bowl and brought them to her. She slowly ate them and Jay made eggs and toast for himself. They spent most of the day playing card games. Hailey had to use her heating pad the whole day. Jay made some wild rice soup for dinner since it would be easy on Hailey's stomach. They ate and watched another Christmas movie. They went to bed after the movie ended since they had work the next morning. When Hailey woke up she was still a little nauseous/

"Are you feeling better babe?" Jay asked.

"Kind of I'm still a little nauseous" Hailey replied.

"Do you want to stay home?" Jay asked.

"No, it's not bad. I can work" Hailey replied.

"Ok, but let me know if it gets worse," Jay told her.

She nodded and they got ready for work. Hailey made it through the workday but was tired. She was half asleep in the car on the way home. They got home and they got in their pajamas and sat on the couch. Hailey fell asleep and Jay covered her with a blanket and started on dinner. As Jay was making dinner he inspected the leftovers in the fridge from the restaurant. He saw that the fries had bread crumbs on them. He made homemade mac n cheese for dinner and then woke Hailey up.

"Hey babe I took a look at the fries and they have bread crumbs on them," Jay told her.

"Ugh, no wonder I've felt so awful" Hailey replied.

"I know I'm sorry Jay said as he got the mac n cheese into bowls.

They ate and went to bed early that night. The next morning Hailey felt mostly better. The day after that she was back to normal.

A/N Bit of a shorter one. I got this idea when the same thing happened to me last month.