4x13 Rhekker

I got this idea from a Chicago fie fanfic where Shay was exposed in the field and had to go on antiretrovirals and got sick from it. I can't find the fic now.

Ava and Connor were in an on-call room when their pagers went off. They got called into the ED for a MVA victim. The guy had multiple broken ribs. The best way to treat this would be to go in surgically and plate the ribs. The guy had HIV so it was risky. Connor and Ava decided to do it anyway. They got him up to surgery soon after. It was going well at first but then Ava cut herself on the scalpel halfway through the surgery.

"Ow!" Ava exclaimed.

"She's cut. The patient HIV positive" The scrub nurse said.

Ava walked away.

"Ava?" Connor called.

Connor quickly finished up the surgery and went back out to Ava.

"It just nicked me it barely broke the skin I doused it with betadine," Ava told Sharon.

"It doesn't matter hospital protocol-" Sharon tried to say.

"She's being sidelined?" Connor cut her off.

"because the patient is HIV positive you need to be seen in the infectious disease clinic and start taking antiretrovirals immediately. Now the medication can cause extreme nausea, so I want you off surgical rotation just for a few days until you acclimate" Sharon told her.

"And if I end up contracting the virus what happens to my career?" Ava asked

"There's such a small chance of that happening, you saw the patient's chart, he had a low viral load," Connor told her.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves" Sharon added. "Just start taking the meds right away and hopefully there won't be anything to worry about ok?" she told her.

Sharon walked away and Ava was stressed.

"Ava I am so sorry I dont even know what to say," Connor said apologetically.

"It's not your fault I was the one who reached for the tray like some idiot resident," Ava replied.

"Well let me at least take a look at your hand," Connor told her.

"No it's okay I'll be fine Connor" Ava replied.

Ava went to the infectious disease clinic and got blood drawn and was prescribed antiretrovirals. An hour later their shift ended. Connor met Ava in the locker room.

"You ok?" Connor asked.

"Yeah," Ava replied.

They got dressed and started to walk to Connors's car.

"Can we swing by the pharmacy? I need to pick up my antiretrovirals" Ava asked.

"Yeah of course. I want you to stay with me tonight. I dont want you to be sick and alone" Connor told her.

"Ok," Ava replied.

They swung by the pharmacy to pick up the meds then stopped by Ava's house to grab a few things, they got to Connors and changed into pajamas. Ava took the pill and sat down on the couch. They turned on the TV and watched the news. 30 minutes later Ava ran to the bathroom and threw up.

"Ssh your ok it's ok let it all out" Connor soothed as he held her hair back and rubbed her back.

Once she was done he wiped off her face and had her rinse her mouth out.

Connor got her back to the couch and then got her some ice water.

"Drink some water for me I dont want you getting dehydrated," Connor told her.