The Third Task

The combination of exams approaching and the third task nearing quickly, it left me in shambles. If I wasn't studying, I was helping Cedric with preparing whatever might appear in the maze. I had to pass by Pomfrey for a sleeping or calming draught more than once. Cedric tried to reassure me, that everything will be alright but that didn't help. George and Fred tried to lighten the mood with games, jokes and pranks. And I tried to engage, I really did, but I just wasn't in the mood. George never took it personally, he just helped me get through this month. He helped me study whenever or wherever he could, he slept over more than once a week, so I could fall asleep easier with my head moving from his soft and steady breathing.

Exams went by slowly, and I nearly cried out in relief as we walked out of our exam for Alchemy. I was so happy, I pushed George into an alcove and kissed him passionately.

"Now that exams are finally over..." George murmured against me lips. "Care to join me upstairs?"

"Later?" I asked. "I'm meeting with Cedric right after dinner. Third task is in two days, you know."

"I know." He smiled as he caressed my cheek. "But after the task, your mine."

I shook my head with a smile as I kissed him lightly. "Sit with me at dinner?"

"Lead the way." He kissed my nose and wrapped his arm around my shoulder and walked me out of the little alcove.

It was the night before the third task, and everyone was talking excitedly about tomorrow. Everyone except... all of the champions and myself. I glanced around the great hall, my plate untouched and saw the same with Harry, Fleur and Cedric; Viktor was nowhere to be seen. I glanced to my right where Cedric was sitting firmly next to me. I wrapped his hand in mine under the table, and he squeezed back. My eyes found George's at the Gryffindor table and he gave a dazzling smile, his way of telling it was okay. We talked about it before, and George agreed I should stay at his side until the task. And that smile was another way of telling me, he's okay with it.

"Ready to get out of here?" I looked back to a pale Cedric. Cedric gave a short nod, before letting go of my hand and stood up. We didn't look at the students who were all watching us leave the room. Once we were out of the great hall, I looped my arm through his and pulled him close. We walked to the Hufflepuff common room in silence. When we reached it, we just kept walking until we were in his room. I dropped down on his bed, with my back against the headboard. Cedric sat down next to me, and I pulled him against my chest, my arm reassuringly around him. We didn't say anything for a long time, we just sat there as I stroked his hair softly. It was getting dark, and still no Odin in sight. He probably wanted to give us time alone and stayed with Lyra in our dorm.

"Can you stay with me?" He finally whispered, tilting his head to look at me.

"I'm not going anywhere."

"What about-"

"He knows. He insisted that I stay with you." I smiled at him.

"Let me go change then." He pushed himself out of my embrace and took a set of pyjamas and walked to the bathroom. Once he was out of the room, I transfigured my clothes into cotton pyjamas and placed my wand on the nightstand. When I pulled the covers over me, Cedric walked back in. He put his wand next to mine and crawled in next to me.

"Do you think I'm ready?" He asked me as we both laid on our sides.

"I do. We've been practicing every night for weeks. And even before that, you were chosen as a champion for a reason. You can do this, you can win." I reached for his hand, and our fingers intertwined.