The Second Task

Now that we were officially a couple, George and I switched sitting at the other's table during lunch every day, sometimes even during dinner. It was the night before the second task, and I was sitting at the Gryffindor table with George's arm around me as we ate dessert. Angelina still kept glaring at me, but I tried to ignore the girl as much as possible. After dessert disappeared, I stood up from my seat.

"I'm helping Cedric out before the task. I'll see you tomorrow at the lake?" He nodded at me with a smile, and I leaned down to capture his lips. "Bye." I waved to the others before I walked over to Cedric who was waiting for me at the doors. Cedric nodded at the Gryffindor table, presumably to George before we walked out of the great hall. When we were out of eyesight, he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"So, I want to practice the bubble-head charm before tomorrow."

"Alright." I looked up to him. "Do you know what you need to find in the lake?"

"No." He frowned. "I think we won't find out until we're in there."

"Promise me, you'll be safe?" I wrapped my arm around his waist and squeezed.

"I promise." He kissed the top of my head. "Let's go to the empty classroom on the fourth floor."

"Do you have the book with you?"

"Yep." He tapped his bag with his finger. We walked to the classroom, talking about what things he might encounter in the lake. When we reached the empty classroom, we hopped on the desks and faced each other. We practiced the spell on each other, and when he perfected the bubble-head charm, we focused on the basics he might need tomorrow. It was nearly nine when a house elf popped up in the room. Cedric and I jumped a little from the sudden intrusion and looked at the elf with raised eyebrows.

"I'm asked to fetch Missus Northon." The elf piped up.

"Fetch?" I chuckled. "For what?"

"I don't ask questions; I do as Professor McGonagall tell me."

"Alright." I said slowly as I looked to a confused Cedric. "I'll see you in the common room, okay?" Cedric nodded as I walked over. "I don't know what McGonagall needs, so if it takes too long, try to get some sleep. You'll need it. I'll see you in the common room or tomorrow at breakfast." I kissed his cheek and hugged him. "Be careful."

"I will." He held me tight, his head buried in my hair. I pulled away and gave him a strained smile before I followed the elf out of the classroom.

The elf walked in front of me as we walked the empty corridors. When we reached the end of the hallway where McGonagall's office was, Hermione and Ron appeared from the other side.

"Hermione, Ron? What are you two doing here?"

"Fred and George picked us up at the library, they said McGonagall needed to speak with us." Ron answered.

"Me too." I said with a frown as different scenarios played out in my head.

"Strange." The three of us said together, and the elf disappeared with a pop.

"What?" I turned to the spot the elf disappeared from confused. "What's going on here?" I turned back to the two fourth years, who had the same look of confusion spread on their faces. "Do the boys know what's going on?"

"No." Hermione started. "They just said Professor McGonagall wanted to see us and that she looked grim. I'm guessing George didn't know you were summoned too."

"I don't think so. I was practicing with Cedric on -" I was interrupted when the door a meter away from us opened and just like Hermione said, the professor looked grim.