Yule Ball

Lyra and I were getting ready at the night of the Yule ball. Lyra was just touching up her make-up as she wore a floor length sapphire blue dress. I was sitting in front of the mirror with a frown as I kept changing my hair. I sighed in frustration and dropped my head in my hands. I heard Lyra chuckle behind me.

"Don't laugh at me." I grumbled in my hands.

"I'm not." I shot a glare at her. "Alright, maybe a little." She grinned as she walked over bare foot. "But you can do anything with your hair."

"That's the problem, too many choices." I pursed my lips as I looked in the mirror again.

"Keep it simple then. Your favourite length and colour."

"Yeah, maybe you're right." I tussled my head and it changed my hair into ash blond colour that reached my mid waist. I only pushed in two silver pins on each side before I slipped on my dress. Two pair of heels later, Lyra and I were standing in front of the mirror dressed for the occasion.

"You know I love Odin." Lyra started looking at me in the mirror. "But I'm so jealous you're going with Luke to the ball. Remember my huge crush?"

"How can I forget." I laughed. "You followed him around like a puppy for like a month in our third year." I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her close. "Odin's going to drool all over you."

"You think?" She asked nervously, pulling at her dress.

"Oh, yeah. Now before we go." I reached behind me to grab the camera. "Picture time first. Smile." I said as I let the camera hover in front of us. I tucked the camera into my small bag, and we headed to the common room laughing. Odin was already waiting for Lyra, wearing a navy-blue suit. "You clean up nice, Odin." I smiled and kissed his cheek.

"You too, Northon." He grinned before his eyes fell on Lyra. "I- you- Wow!" He stumbled over his words, which was incredibly adorable.

"I'll let you two love birds alone. I'm heading out to find my date."

"Wait, we'll come with you." Lyra put out her hand.

"No, you two enjoy your alone time for a while. I see you at the dance." I smiled at them before I walked out the common room.

The teachers have been busy decorating not only the great hall but the whole castle. Every corridor I passed had garlands, lights or Christmas trees in it. It was certainly a sight to behold, Christmas in the castle. I never saw it as I always went home or to the Diggory's. My eyes were fixed on the candles and the decorations, that I didn't notice when I entered the crowded corridor in front of the great hall.

"Fuck!" I heard a voice say, so I snapped my head to the sound. Luke was walking over to me, his eyes going up and down my body. "Northon, you look absolutely stunning!" He kissed my cheek. "I told you we would be the hottest couple tonight." He winked. Luke did look amazing, wearing a simple black suit with a white shirt. His tie was the exact same colour of my dress, and he was fumbling something out of his pocket. "It's a little corny." He grinned, but I saw a slight blush appear. "But it's a muggle tradition." I glanced down and saw a beautiful blue and silver rose in his hand.

"It's gorgeous." My hand grazed the flower.

"It's a corsage, but I enchanted it so it could be pinned in your hair. May I?" He asked holding up the rose. I nodded my head with a smile and let him tuck the rose near my ear.

"Thank you." I whispered before I kissed his cheek.

"Ready to head inside?" He asked offering his arm. I looped my arm through his and we walked to the doors. A large dance floor was situated in the back of the great hall, just in front of the teachers table, while the rest of the great hall was filled with large round tables, where they could sit and eat before the dance was going to start. "Where do you want to sit?"