Forgive Me

Ignoring George was hard. Hearing his voice, seeing him... In the great hall I felt his stare on my back, in our joined classes I saw him glance at me while I avoided eye contact. I was mad at him, but still I longed for his touch, for him to sit close next to me. Every time my eyes (involuntary, I might add) found him, my heart skipped a beat. A mixture of anger, love and frustration filled my head and my heart when I saw him or think of him.

I walked into greenhouse seven for my first Herbology class that year and took a seat near the back. The room was filled with mistletoe plants. Professor Sprout probably wanted to revise our lesson from last year for our NEWTs at the end of the year as they learned about them last year. Fred walked in the greenhouse, and I saw his eyes search for me. When he found me, a timid smile appeared on his lips and walked over. He hopped up on the stool next to me.

"Hi, Guinevere."

"Hello, Fred." I kissed his cheek quickly and put on my gloves and apron. "Good summer?"

"Guinevere, you -"

"Don't!" I snapped and put up my hand, and he fell quiet. "I need to focus on class." I said as I looked to Professor Sprout in front of the green house. In the corner of my eye, I saw Fred look at me for a few minutes before he turned to Professor Sprout when she started to speak. I talked to Fred during the classes we shared, but he never asked or told me to speak to his twin again. I knew he wanted to, but we just talked about our classes.

"Hey, Gwen?" A soft voice came from behind me when I placed my bag over my shoulder and headed out the Transfiguration classroom. I turned just as I stepped out of the classroom and saw a nervous chaser in front of me.

"Angelina?"

"I come in peace; I promise." She held out up her hands with a small smile. "Can I talk to you?" She nudged her head to the side of the corridor. I nodded briskly; my shoulders tense as I followed her until we were alone.

"So..." I started with a slight frown.

"So..." She scratched her temple nervously. "I wanted to apologize."

I had a hard time to stop my mouth from falling open, so I just looked at her wide-eyed. "What?"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry about last year, about how I acted." My shoulders started to relax as I saw the sincerity in her eyes. "I wasn't over George, and I was jealous. I know it isn't any excuse of my behaviour, but I want to apologize and make it up to you. I don't know how yet, but I will."

"Wasn't expecting that." I said honestly as I let out a breath of relief.

"I should have come to you sooner. But I let my pride; my stubbornness get in the way. I knew I was wrong and did horrible things to you last year, I came to my senses before the third task. I know how happy you make George, happier than I could ever make him. Could you find a way to forgive me?"

"Uhm..." I hesitated. "I think I can, maybe not today or even next week, but I think we can get past it."

"Thank you." Angelina suddenly flung her arms around me, and I froze. She pulled back beaming as she guided me to the great hall. Her face turned serious when we almost reached the great hall for lunch. "There is something I need to tell you." She glanced around the corridor. "You still need to be careful with Cho. I know you and Cedric are just friends, now that you and George... but she blames you for the break-up. She came up to me to ask me to help her get him back, to get you out of the way but I refused... she didn't like that."

I pursed my lips as I frowned at the stone floor beneath my feet. "Thanks for the warning."

"Anytime." She gave me a rueful smile. She turned to walk in the great hall before looking over her shoulder. "Sit with me in the next Transfiguration?"