The First Task

Cedric had left early the morning of the task and I got dressed in yellow colours to support him. I felt so nervous I let my hair change into a dull colour and pulled into a lose bun. I went to the great hall, but once I stood in the large doors, my stomach clenched even more as my eyes darted over the excited students. I turned on my heel and walked out of the castle. I breathed in the fresh air, trying to calm my nerves, but it didn't work. So, I started walking to the champions tent at the arena, knowing Cedric would be there on time to prepare. He never told me how he knew the first task involved dragons but was happy he had something to prepare for then to go in blindly.

When I arrived at the tent, I pushed the tent open and saw him going over a book with his wand tucked behind his ear as he paced the room. I leaned against the wooden pole of the tent and watched him. He was wearing a uniform of sorts, a mixture of yellow, grey and white, his name in bold letters on the back. I smiled as I took him in, the little crease between his eyes I had always adored. After what I thought was just long enough for me not to look creepy, I spoke up.

"Nervous?"

Cedric's head snapped to me, his eyes soft and a smile on his lips. "Better now." He walked over and pulled me in a hug. My head on his chest and I nuzzled it, as my arms wrapped around him. He kissed the top of my head. "I'm happy you're here."

"Me too." I smiled but didn't let go. I wanted to savour this moment, imprint it in my memories. We only pulled apart when we heart footsteps coming closer. Cedric pulled me to his side of the tent, and we sat close to each other talking a bit when the other champions came in. I smiled at Harry, who gave a nervous smile back. My eyes drifted to the two other champions, who I never had spoken to. Cedric suddenly pulled me up and walked over to the Durmstrang boy.

"Viktor, good morning." Cedric smiled as they shook hands. "This is Gwen. Gwen, this is Viktor."

"Krum, yes I know." I smiled as I shook his hand. "I saw you play at the world cup."

"Not vy bvest game." He shrugged.

"I agree." I nodded and chuckled when I saw Cedric and Viktor looking at me in shock. "I've seen the game against the Netherlands." I pointed out with a smile. That game was the craziest game I had ever seen. Viktor took me in for a moment before he laughed loudly.

"I like your girlvriend." He clapped Cedric's back still a grin in place.

"Oh, I'm not-"

"She's the best." Cedric wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close, a twinkle in his eyes as he looked at me. "Let me introduce you to Fleur. Good luck, mate." He clapped Viktor's arm before he guided me to the Beauxbatons girl. "Fleur!"

"This must be Gwen." The girl smiled.

"I- uhm – yes. How do you know?" I stumbled over my words.

"Cedric told me all about you." She smiled at me. I looked to Cedric in the corner of my eye, and saw his neck turning red. I turned my attention back to the beautiful girl.

"It's very nice to meet you, Fleur." I decided to say and not tease my best friend. It was then when a flash went off on the other side of the tent and they all turned to see the reporter standing there with a smirk as Hermione and Harry pulled out of their hug. "She's such a bitch."

"Oui, 'orrible." Fleur whispered next to me. Viktor was saying something to the Skeeter woman, and I turned to Cedric.

"Goodluck, Ced." I smiled at him before I placed a kiss on the corner of his mouth. "I'll find you later, be safe!" Cedric looked at me stunned, I squeezed his hand before I turned to where Hermione and Harry where standing. "Good luck, Fleur."