20. New Year's Party (Alex)

A/N: I got a request from @BetyKrejcarova for more protective Alex so here it is :) 

--

Alex was surprised that it was already New Year's. June, Nora, and himself had planned their annual New Year's party. It would be just like any other New Year's party, except this year he got to call Henry his fiancé. God, the only time that would get old is when he will get to call Henry his husband. He was so in love with this man, he could die. Even though they're together, the amount of love he has for Henry makes it so hard to breathe. 

Planning the party was a little harder this year considering that Alex was with Henry in Brooklyn while June and Nora were still at DC, but they managed, and Alex and Henry were going back to the White House for a few days so they could hang out with everyone after the party as well.

They had just arrived at the White House when June and Nora came running towards them.

"Alex! Henry!" Nora yelled, "So good to see you again!"

"Yeah, it is, but you don't need to scream in our ears!" Alex laughed. 

"Umm, yes I do! It's an unspoken rule, you know," Nora exclaimed.

Alex just chuckled, "June, you should follow the rules, you know. You didn't even say hi."

June just snorted, "I'll yell my excitement for you to be here when you do, Alex."

"Point," Alex agreed.

"All right, all right.  June, Nora, nice to see you again, finally!" Henry said. June and Nora immediately turned their attention to him.

"Henry! Let me see the ring!" Nora demanded. 

Henry laughed, "That's the first thing you say to me? Really?"

"I carry no shame. Now show us!" Nora demanded again.

Henry just rolled his eyes and showed his hand to June and Nora. He got the tiniest of a blush when he showed it, which Alex knew meant that Henry was embarrassed to show it. Not because of any bad reasons but because he felt like he was showing off whenever he showed the ring. 

"Oh my god, Alex, you actually didn't screw something up this time! It's beautiful!" June exclaimed.

Alex scoffed, "Hey!"

"Wow," Nora breathed, "Congratulations again, guys!"

"Thanks, Nora," Alex said and shot June a look, "Now can we please go inside?"

"Yeah, let's do that," Henry agreed, "I don't want to keep this backpack on my shoulders for much longer."

"Well, maybe you should've thought about that before packing so much stuff," Alex retorted.

"I packed a normal amount of stuff," Henry argued.

"No, you packed an abnormal amount of stuff," Alex said.

"Whatever, that doesn't make this bag any less heavy," Henry complained.

"Aren't you supposed to be some strong, muscular guy who plays polo?" Alex asked. 

"Well there's a reason I don't—" 

June interrupted him, "I feel like something that Nora and I don't want to hear is going to be said right now, so let's just go inside."

"Okay," Alex said. 

~~ time skip to the party ~~ 

There were a lot of people here, as usual. The only difference is that there were a lot of guys and girls ogling Henry. Alex didn't like that. At all. Granted, some of them were looking at Alex too, but that's because of his natural charm. Alex took Henry's hand and squeezed it. Henry must've seen the look in Alex's eyes because he just laughed softly.

Throughout the party they had fun and hung out with a lot of old friends. Apparently, Liam and Spencer had moved to DC because of a job offer for Spencer. They had gotten married a couple months back, and Alex was so happy to see them. 

They were dancing and laughing their asses off and having the time of their lives. At one point, Henry had excused himself to go to the restroom. 

20 minutes later and Henry still wasn't back from the restroom. Alex assumed it was because he just wanted to escape the crowd or didn't want to dance, but he still wanted to go check just to make sure he was okay. Something felt off. 

Alex was walking towards the restrooms when he heard someone being homophobic as fuck. He turned to see this guy taking to Henry in a really loud voice. 

"You gays are so fucking unbelievable. I can't believe people actually accept you guys," the guy was saying, and then proceeded to try and punch Henry. Not that Alex would ever let that happen, though. 

Alex shoved him away from Henry, seeing red, "If we're so fucking unbelievable, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to try and knock some sense into your heads," the guy said.

"Well you shouldn't," Alex remarked, and was about to shove him again when he felt Henry touch his arm. He looked towards him and saw Henry pleading with his eyes for Alex not to do anything stupid. Alex calmed down just a little bit so as to not do anything physically violent towards the man who was currently insulting them. But that doesn't mean he can't be verbally violent. 

"You know what, you fucking asshole, I don't know how you're accepted." Alex spat.

The guy replied, "I'm accepted by god."

"Oh my fucking god," Alex yelled, "Another homophobic because of their religion? REALLY? I don't know what religion you follow, but I can bet you that you would not be accepted by them for trying to beat someone up because they're gay." 

The guy just scoffed and walked away. Alex turned his attention to Henry.

"Oh my god, baby, are you okay? Did he hurt you before I got here?" Alex was so worried.

Henry just smiled reassuringly, "No he didn't, I'm okay, don't worry love."

"But he almost punched you! That's not okay!"

"I know, but homophobes are going to be homophobes," Henry sighed.

Alex just nodded, "Do you want to escape the party for the rest of the night?" 

"No, no, I'll be okay," Henry said.

"But what if we see that guy again?"

"I highly doubt that we'll see him again with this many people," Henry reasoned.

"Okay, whatever you say," Alex said.

They made their way back to their friend circle. Pez had also managed to catch a flight out and was now at the party. Alex told everyone what had happened and they were all so angry. 

"Henry, honey, I'm so sorry that happened to you," Pez sympathized. Henry just shot him a smile.

"Oh my god Henry, you don't deserve that! You literally made my brother's life so much better, you know that? He's never been happier than when he's with you," June reassured Henry.

"Henry, as much as I don't like you because you stole Alex," Nora joked, and everyone laughed, "That shouldn't have happened to you. Are you sure you don't want to go?"

"Yeah, I'm fine everyone. Just a little shaken is all," Henry told them, "Let's not let this bring down the good mood of this party!"

They didn't look convinced but they let it slide. After all, if Henry wanted to forget about it, then no one would protest. Plus, it was New Year's Eve. 

Just then, "Get Low" started playing. Alex remembered when Henry had first heard that song at their first New Year's party. Alex had danced to the song with Nora, now he can do it with Henry. Henry laughed when it came on. 

"Of course it's this song," Henry shook his head.

And all in all, they forgot about the event for the rest of the night. Alex would pester Henry about it in the morning, but he could understand if Henry didn't want to think about it right now. After all, Alex only wanted Henry to be happy.