Chapter-19

A sweet and savouring aroma swirled in the air of the cozy little home planted between a garden of flowers ranging from rare blossoming Franklinias to simple red roses.

It was a fresh Sunday afternoon where on the rare occasions of Edinburgh no rain showers but a baby ray light of sun filled the surroundings as the two women inside the little home were busy doing their own chores.

The elder woman stuck to the kitchen baking plum cakes for the guest to be received in an hour whereas the younger girl locked herself inside her bedroom, going through subjects after subjects and works to works in order to get them all done by the time the obnoxiously boisterous but the sweetest guest arrived and occupied all her time for the day.

Just as Lia was about to open the next subject the door bell rung which had the girl to sprint out of the door in a minute dropping all her subjects as she saw the person standing at front door with flowers and a tiny bags.

Before she could advance to welcome the guest her mother bet her to it.

"Welcome to our humble residence dear boy." She said with a sweet smile as she let the boy in.

"Hello Mrs. Pearl. I got flowers for you." Cyrus held out the minimal bouquet of yellow roses which had the elder woman gushing in adoration.

"Aww. So sweet of you young boy. Thank you."

Cyrus nodded smiling shyly not knowing how to reply.

Lia stood in silence, leaning against the wall next to her bedroom folding her hands under her chest wearing a black sweat set as her hair was tied up in a messy bun while her ear piercings were the only ornaments completing her look.

"Since when did you become so shy? And since when did you both act so formal with each other? Last time I checked you both were bickering about who had the better back?" The youngest among all the three spoke up amusement written all over her face.

"Oh shut up! I and mom thought we would have a little scene when I come home after so long and it was going so well until you ruined it." The tattooed boy whined as the elder pearl just chuckled proceeding to put the flowers in a long glass of water.

"Scene? What scene? When did you both even discuss about this?" Lia's with a puzzled expression made her way over to the dining table where other two were setting up the dishes for the lunch.

"Remember it's not only you who has phone in the household? Mom has one too." Cyrus rolled his eyes as he placed down the plates and spoons.

"That I know! But you said me to not tell mom that you were coming and wanted it to be a surprise?" Lia still not understanding a thing sat down on the chair as the elder boy took the chair next to her.

"Maybe I already let mom know first before telling you." Cyrus added grinning as he filled both his and Lia's plates as the elder woman had said she would serve herself because only she knew how much quantity she would have.

"Oh damn! That's why she was so keen on preparing plum cakes today. They are your favourite! And I thought it was just a coincidence?" Lia laughed out at her own cluelessness as she hit the boy's shoulder almost pushing him off the chair.

"Now you understand why I call you a dumb puppy?" Her mother added on finally setting the prepared drinks on the table with a smile.

"Dumb puppy is way too sweet mom. You should have named her idiot rabbit." The boy laughed out as Lia's mother chuckled nodding her head in agreement.

Lia just stared at them both laughing and smiled while the three continued to eat and chat in between.

In middle of the lunch Lia zoned out, turning her thoughts inwards while continuing to finish her plate mindlessly,as she thought about how day by day her darling was getting farther and farther from her.