Chapter-3

Lia's POV

A proud smile tugged on my lips, post the ending of online orientation program that was held just a few minutes ago as I layed back on the edge of my bed,feet touching the ground. There was a small round of introduction amongst the batch of students taking up Bachelors of Arts in Psychology.All the important details regarding the course were discussed along with a short introduction session about the decorum of the University.

Lecturers were visibly happy about my involvement throughout the session. It would be a small thing or even irrelevant to any other person but it was a big deal for me. A necessary one to be specific. After being locked away within the walls of my home and barely talking to anybody for almost an year and then slowly trying to build myself since last few months, obviously some stranger being appreciative of me would mean a lot to me.

I still had the smile on my face,scrolling through my only other social media app other than WhatsApp.I wasn't a person to spend loads of time on social media, chatting with people,making connections; It never was my strongest suit.So I just chose to entertain myself with quotes, poetries and arts. They breathe life into me. And ofcourse my love for ornamentation,vestments and skincare was clearly visible through my choice of pins. Pinterest was perfect place for my preference.

I had recently come across few quotes from a novel and I couldn't catch the proper name of it under any pins but those quotes were tugging at my heart, making me want to read them right away. Hence,to my dismay I typed away a comment under one of the related posts for someone to help me with finding the name, getting out of my hidden spot. I simply cannot understand how can some people word such enormous feelings into few simple words so profoundly. I just feel so proud about them.

I left my phone on the night stand, standing up to go to the garden behind our home. One of the many things I am extremely grateful for is to currently live in Edinburgh. The weather, atmosphere,the scenery around the place we live in is very pleasant to eyes and soothing to the souls who are deeply mesmerized by nature. I take extreme pride in saying that I am without no doubt one among those tender souls.

"Someone seems to be extremely motivated to do something other than lying on the couch and bossing around" I chuckled tauntingly as a light hearted smile lit my uncle's face. "Watering flowers is much more fun" He answered back, moving around to cover the huge garden that covered almost three-fourth of our backyard. I joined him taking another sprinkler.

For some reason those quotes kept running in the background of my mind. I hope someone has dropped the name,it would be such a disappointment to not read it. The anticipation coursing through me literally forced me to go grab the phone just to be let down at no sight of any notifications. Right as I was about to put down my phone,the screen flashed with notifications.

I clicked on it right away seeing that someone had actually replied me."Call me by your name by André Aciman" the message read. I quickly thanked them and exited the app to download it Although hardcovers would always be my love, e-books most definitely came in handy at the times of need like when I was running low on my savings or just could not find the energy to visit a library or a thrift store.

Before I could start with my new adventure, a new notification took my attention. Opening it,I saw it was the same person who had replied earlier and they had asked me to check the chat but I didn't have any idea about how to. With hesitation I typed the same thoughts into words. As usual, a very familiar companion of mine took hold of my mind spiraling me into thoughts of self-doubt and assumptions. And the sweet name goes by 'over-thinking'.

Another notification popped up as I was pushing myself into an unwanted headspace. I felt relieved reading the text,guidance about accessing the chat was mentioned clearly. Thoughts about how this person was kind enough to actually help out a stranger ran through my mind. I followed the instructions finding the chat box and clicking on a text notification seeing it was from the same person.

I replied back. It was nothing fancy,just a simple hello and hi was exchanged. As a very common and the most expected question to be followed after the greeting "May I know your name?" appeared on my screen. I took a moment to decide if I wanted to reveal my name or not. It was not everyday that I spoke with someone and had to introduce myself. Morning session was different. That was officially required but this was personal.I had a choice to not reply yet something in me convinced me enough to text back.

"Lia Pearl" I sent in and only for being polite and definitely not out of curiosity,I typed in asking their name.The reply was almost instant making me feel comfortable at the fact that it was not just me who was excited to know each other."Leona Florance" I called out the name. Once, twice and once again. If love at first sight with a name could be possible,I think this would be mine.I wouldn't say my name was any less but this name was so sweet on my lips. Also,I was somehow intrigued by the fact that the first person that I spoke to on internet was a girl.

I guess I was way too carried away about the fact that how her name had made it's way onto my lips on a loop and how I did not seem to mind it at all. "Sorry,it was rude of me to leave your text unanswered like that. Your name is really beautiful" I didn't mind voicing out my thoughts in a more subtle way compared to how intense it actually is in my mind. "It's totally fine. Your name is beautiful too. It sounds elegant and posh." That sentence made me happy as I thanked her sending a little red heart alongside.

Just like that we went back and forth asking few questions and cracking in few jokes. It was so refreshing to actually talk to someone new with such a relaxation and ease. She makes me feel comfortable and I have warmed up quite too much to her already. We didn't even know we had been talking for hours together until my grandmother called me for dinner.

I gently reminded her about the time,not wanting her to feel like I wanted to leave already because I did not want to and I could feel her shock right through the text that was filled with all capitals, question mark and an exclamatory mark to make it more dramatic.She was a dork.I could already see it and she being apparantly two years younger than me just added on to my previous statement.Her dorky behaviour bought a sense of giddiness in me.

A little smile had snugly made it's place on my face ever since the conversation started. Unwillingly we were to bid farewell for the day yet we both were not so keen on ending our little time together. The urge to express the extent of newness and authenticity that this moment held to me personally, kept growing stronger. Just then a text appeared "I really do not want to leave but I have to.Good night. See you later."

"I like talking to you. Good night,sleep well. See you soon." Within seconds of sending in my text,I received a message. "Why see you soon?" I chuckled, ofcourse she would ask about it. It is not quite common for people to say that. "I personally feel like 'See you later' is closed off and sounds distant,like for that person it wouldn't matter if the other person reaches back or otherwise. But on the other hand 'See you soon' hints that I cannot wait untill I get to talk to you again,I hope we meet again,I am excited to spend time with you and so much more. That's the reason I say 'See you soon'."

"Wow. I did not even think about that. The meaning is so heartwarming. You say that to everyone?" Instantly I replied "No." I wanted to say so much more but I do not feel this would be the right time. Next text might have been one of the most sweetest gestures from her. "See you soon,Lia." She not only understood the importance that word held,she also directed it towards me. That lulled my heart into a soothing cradle. "See you soon,Leona." I mirrored her words biting back a huge grin, yet I lost.

"Leona Florance" I whispered under my breath,an unsaid warmth filling my senses. And then I remembered about the novel. Next moment,I was propped up against my bed headboard as the duvet was drapped below my torso having my phone screen lit in my hands with words sprawled all over. At this moment I was so unaware about the immaculate power this book and the person it lead me to would hold over me. Perhaps I was unaware about how my everything would be rocked upside down.And I started with my sweet downfall: Call me by your name.

__________________________________

Hi everybody!

How was the chapter?So this was how they met.

Please do vote and comment.It would help a lot.

Thank you! Have a blissful day ahead...