Chapter-13

Leona's POV

Life is a bunch of uncertain events. A very cruel act that bends and brings us down on our knees.A very painful ride that gets us stuck in middle of the haze. Not giving a chance to choose the right direction nor lets us follow the wrong direction.

Silent sniffles and occasional groggy scoffings due to dried up throat were the very few things being crystal clear between the white walls that screamed dullness and hopelessness in the huge multi-speciality building.

Wallowing air of heavy silence racked my body,no words,no emotions. Heck! Even water droplets seemed to have trapped inside my now tired downturned eyes. A soundless war tore me from within,not a single soul could hear the thrashings and screamings of a little girl curled up into a ball in the far corner of my messed up mind.

War between wanting to dash through the doors while crying out loud and sitting still as I was right now and drown within my own darkness.

I could feel the tiny hands of the little girl gently scratching my inner mind, pleading, begging to help her out of this miserable situation her family found themselves in,since past Saturday morning.

Saturday morning started pretty sweetly with texts from Lia and finally knowing that she was somehow in a good headspace but even before it could last for more than few minutes we got the most awful, disturbing news.

We indeed had a small family get together during the breakfast that had not happened in a very long while with smiles and little talks that was for once not directed towards anyone,just casual family time that we had spent in the dining table.

And just like that everything felt like it was spiralling downhill few hours forward. One call from dad's phone is all that took for mom to breakdown with hot tears while she urged me and brothers who were playing video games on the television set in middle of the living room to get in the car and pulled the gears straight towards the main hospital of the city.

Throughout the ride a series of questions about if something happened to father? Why are we going towards hospital? Is mother fine? rolled off from the concerning tones of Lucas and Lauran who had sat on either sides of me while I held their palms and ushered them to be patient and to not assume the worst.

The unnoticed realisation of the fear searing through my veins downed upon me when we stood in front of the ICU looking through the little whole, the wires running all over his figure while a heart monitoring machine ticked away in the side as doctors and nurses rushed in and out after being directed by the receptionist to the said room.

After about an hour of waiting by the room and soothing mom and brothers the only interaction with the doctors were no where near to comforting. Signatures were taken by mom and only the sound of last few sentences stuck on replay in all of our minds before the doctor went back inside the operating theatre, "Patient's condition is severe. We are trying our best. Please do not lose hope"

It was difficult for mother. By the way her shoulders slumped down and tears threatened to fall anytime soon proved it,although she held it all back and circled her arms around my brothers who were exhausted by all the crying on hearing the heart breaking news about their father having met with a major accident.

I slowly walked upto mom who was lost in thoughts as both the boys dozed off in tiredness, resting their heads on either side of her shoulders. A slight flinch shook her figure feeling my hand tapping her leg gently. Her eyes were bloodshot,lack of sleep was evident under her pretty shades of faded green eyes as she tried to crack a tiny smile which went into vain instantly but I still managed to smile back, acknowledging her effort.

"I will atleast bring you some coffee mom,you haven't eaten anything since past two days already." It was true. Ever since the operation was done and dad was shifted back to the ICU from the operation theatre mother was awfully quite and did not intake anything except for few sips of water when the pain in her throat soared high due to the forcefully held back cries. Even during the surgery was taking place,she had atleast spoken few words here and there to calm the boys atleast.