Chapter 3

Samantha's POV

You don't know pain until you're staring at yourself in the mirror with tears streaming down your face and your begging yourself to just hold on and be strong. That is pain.

Splashing cool water on my face seemed to bring some life back into my skin. With the water running out of the faucet in front of me, I let my fingers soak up the warmed water. My mind seemed to go blank as I stared at my reflection in the mirror but yet I didn't remove my gaze. Today was Sunday so that meant today is the day we bury my parents. The past four days have gone by in such a blur that I honestly couldn't believe it was already Sunday when I dragged myself out of bed this morning.

Thankfully I had already chosen what to wear to the funeral last night so that today may be even a fraction easier for me. The simple black dress draped across my bed next to the pair of shoes I had on the floor beneath it. I grabbed the dress by the collar and held it up in front of me so I could see myself in the full length mirror across from me.

I thought back to the first time I tried this dress on. I was in the shops with my mum and we wanted to take advantage of a day she didn't have to be at the office. I hesitated even trying on the dress because I didn't think it would suit my style but my mother reassured me I looked beautiful in it. Unfortunately I didn't know the next time I would wear it would be at her funeral.

Slipping into the dress I began to become frustrated that I couldn't fully do up the zipper in the back. I gave up soon after, quickly sinking to my knees. Everything began setting in and hitting me in one big disastrous blow. How was I supposed to get though today if I could barely get myself dressed.

The comforting arms of someone behind me began wrapping themselves around me. It didn't take my body long to recognize them as Liam's and I began to sob in his arms. I could feel my chest getting tighter and it was becoming difficult to even breath. I was completely speechless.

"Your going to be okay, we're going to get through this." Liam's words entered my mind but didn't seem to ease the pain I was feeling emotionally and physically.

"This doesn't even feel real, how could something like this happen to someone?" I sobbed inhaling when I could. The comforting circles Liam placed on my back controlled the roughness of my breath which helped to ease my staggered breathing.

Liam stood up first, reaching down to help me up. My body felt weak against his as I struggled to stand on my own two feet. I was reluctant to look at myself in the mirror as Liam helped zip up the remainder of my dress. I stayed silent until Liam left the room. Shortly after I walked over and sat on my bed, feeling the need to relieve the pressure that was starting to build up in my entire body.

I couldn't tell how long it was that I sat there in silence before Sara entered my room.

"Do you want me to do your hair?" She offered, standing next to me. Her voice was soft and comforting. I nodded my head and she disappeared into the bathroom. I waited a few minutes before joining her.

Taking my seat on the toilet next to the sink I wasn't paying attention to what she planned on doing. It feels as if everything is going in slow motion like some sort of trance. As Sara ran a curling iron through my hair I flinched slightly as I felt the heated hair fall back against my skin.

I stared blankly at the wall in front of me long enough that she had moved on to my makeup. I could feel she didn't add too much to my face but it was enough to make it look like I hadn't been crying for the past week because we all know that was the case.

Sara smiled at me, signalling she was done and I thanked her. "You know I'll be here whenever you need me, you don't even have to ask." Sara replied. She wrapped her arms around me and brought me in for a light embrace.