CHAPTER 44: Eyes. The windows to one's soul

I heard a knock on the door right after I changed into fresh clothes. I slowly approached the door and before opening I asked who was there.

"It's Gloria. Can I come in Y/N." She said and it didn't even sound like a question.

I opened the door and she came in. She stood and looked around the room, like he had never been in it before. The silence was unbearable so I said whatever came to my mind first, "It's a lovely room. Really." I said with an awkward smile.

"I suppose so. Y/N, do you love my son?" She finally asked. Her tone of voice made it very hard to predict where this was going.

"I... honestly don't know. I mean. What he did. I know she was mean to him, but that's what life is like. Life isn't all fun and games, not even for someone so rich." I said.

"You are right." She stated. "For us. Life is even harder." She said and took a breath.

She didn't just really say that. No, she did. Rich, White Woman. Of course. What a hard and unbearable life she must be living. Wiping her tears with money, because it can't buy happiness.

"You must think very badly of me. But it doesn't matter. You are not important to me." She exhaled, keeping her head high. "But... you are very important to my son. Which means you can be grateful to him. Otherwhise Dora's death would have already been blamed on you."

"Of course." I sighed with some kind of relief. At least he hadn't lost interest in me. But was that really a good thing?

"Maybe go and apologize to him. Or at least help him get his thoughts sorted. I can't deal with that. I would probably just make it worse."

"You will never know. Not unless you finally try." I said sharply. She looked at me with blank eyes and left the room. She would always get a new maid that will have to put up ith Dandy. Well not anymore. Because now I was here. I went to lay on the bed and just contemplated my life and all of the current events ran through my mind.

Then there was a knock, a very shy and quiet one. I didn't answer. A couple of seconds later there was another one. However, this one was a little bit bolder. I sait up in bed and listened, but couldn't hear anything else. So I got up and quietly went to the door. I put my ear against the door and listened.

Nothing.

Either the wooden door was too thick or they left. Then another knock. I instantly opened the door. And in front of me stood Dandy. His eyes were puffy and red. My mouth fell open but nothing came out. The same went for him.

When you really think about it, it must've looked very funny. Just two young lovers, facing eachother, mouth open, but no sounds. Only eyes doing the talking.

And Dandy's eyes said way too much. And in that moment I feared that mine would never say enough.