Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Sorry to bother you when you just came back," Emma quickly said.

"Who cares," I sighed, throwing myself onto the couch.

Norman gave me a look before he turned to his two siblings. "What is it?"

"There's a lot, actually," Emma said, clearing her throat.

"But first tell us," Ray interrupted. "What kind of strategy do you have? How do you plan to destroy the demons without losing any of our own? A civil war?"

Norman lifted his eyebrow at me as I pulled out an orange from my pocket. "What? I didn't know if you wanted me to tell them your plan," I hissed.

"What do you think, Ray?" He let out a humorless chuckle. "You make it easy because you can read my mind."

"Cause a civil war between the demons," Ray threw himself onto the couch across from me and watched me peel my orange.

"I'm going to have the demons destroy each other," finished Norman.

"Wait, so the pawns you went to see are," Emma perked up, as she put together the pieces.

"Demons. Yes, I went to form an alliance. Demon society isn't a monolith," Norman explained. "There's a King, Aristocrats, commoners, and demons below them. There's a clear status hierarchy. At the top are the royal family and the five regent houses."

"Five regent houses?" Emma wondered as she joined Ray on the couch, snatching an orange slice. I shot her a glare but she played oblivious.

"The five aristocratic houses that have power below the royal family," he elaborated.

Emma perked up. "The ones who built Lambda!"

I facepalmed. "Yes," Norman replied.

"The royal family and the regent houses manage and run all the farms," he continued. "By supplying the human meat, they control and rule most of the demon society and have absolute wealth and authority. There are some demons who are unhappy with the disparity that grows bigger every year between them, the royal family, and the regent houses. We'll be using them, for starters."

"What are they like?" Ray asked.

Norman sat next to me and took an orange slice. I looked at him and grabbed my oranges and scooted them to the edge of the coffee table.

"The Geelan clan, who are former aristocrats," he stated. "They were framed for a crime they didn't commit. 700 years ago by the royal family and the five regent houses. It was like a banishment. They were sentenced to the status of those who aren't allowed human meat. Historically, it was said that they degenerated and turned into wild demons. But they've been hiding and waiting for a chance to get their revenge for 700 years. They steal repeatedly from farms and towns to survive. They have barely maintained the intelligence and form of a human."