Chapter Fifteen & Sixteen

The dining room doors slammed open, revealing the old geezer.

Everybody looked at him. My eyes studied his figure. He seemed super familiar. I couldn't wrap my finger around it though. Why does he seem so familiar?

Emma introduced herself as she walked up to him.

"Get out," he responded. His voice was cold and deep. It boomed through the entire room. "I don't intend to tell you my name. There's no need for it."

Emma invited him to sit down. When he showed no reaction Emma sat herself. She talked to him about what we could offer and how we could be resourceful of our items.

"We want to go see Mr. Minerva," Emma said. "I want you to be our guide and bodyguard."

"Your guide and bodyguard?" the geezer repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"I know you're strong," Emma smiled. "You've survived 13 years on your own."

"And you probably go outside a lot," Ray added.

13 years. That number sounds familiar. Why? Is it because it reminds me of Ray turning 13 next year? No, I don't think so. 13 years ago was... 2032. Two years after I was born. 13 years ago I was barely a toddler. One that was taken into the care of Peter. Before I began mama training 10 years later when I was 12. Was there an event that happened 13 years ago? Wait... what farm is this man from?

When I came to reality, the said man was holding a knife hovering inches above Emma's head. "But it'll be faster if I just kill you here and now," he said.

Ray pulled out a pistol and slid it along the table, passing it to the man. He must've taken the gun when I fell asleep. Butterfingers. He then pulled out a remote just as Don asked: "The bullets?"

"I removed them,"Ray answered, not looking back at Don.

The old man's face shifted when his eyes landed on the detonator.

Emma stood up and spread her arms wide open. She looked up at him with a wide smile across her face. "So let's make a deal, sir. Or else we'll blow up this shelter."

The room fell silent for a moment, before the old man pulled his knife to his chin and clamped the blade shut. "Fine. If you want to die so much I'll let you."

 He explained what he'll be doing for us. Such as only being our guide. Not bothering to protect us. I can see where he's coming from. Why would he bother protecting a random bunch of escapee kids?

"So what's your name?" Emma asked, her eyes lighting up.

"I said I'm not telling, Antenna Shorty," the old man said, as he started walking towards the door.

I stifled a laugh and walked up to Emma as the man reached the door. "Been waiting for that one," I said to Emma.

Ray gave me a tired look. "Don't humor him, Y/N."

I gave him a cheeky grin.

As I walked down the halls of the shelter I heard the old man yell from a room. As I made my way over, I saw Alicia, Dominick, Mark, Jemima, Rossi, Yvette, and Chris skip out of a room and come my way.