Chapter Thirty

(we're back guyzz, no more fluff for a whilee >:)

---

This kid. She feels so cold. As if she's just another dead body.

I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and rested my hand on her forehead. She's grown a lot these past two years. It felt so strange without her around.

A metal door whirred open. I didn't need to see to know that it was Jocelyn. The beeps of her tablet gave her away. She is always carrying that tablet as if it were her lifeline. Might as well be considering how old that shotty thing is.

"How lovely seeing you this early in the morning," she clicked her tongue as she walked over to a metal desk across from Y/N's bed.

The room was so dimly lit. You'd expect it to be a little brighter for a morgue, but no. Guess Jocelyn liked it dark. I heard some keys being pressed, and some mouse clicks before Jocelyn came over to where I was with Y/N.

She was holding a packet of papers. "What's this?" I asked her, taking the papers from her hands and flipping them over.

"I never told you, but I will admit," she started, taking a seat across from me. "Whenever Y/N took the daily tests during her time at Lambda, I always observed her brain after every test."

I lifted an eyebrow. "Isn't that normal?"

She picked at her bright pink nails. "Well, I may have added some drugs to her food and see if that affected her in any way. Unfortunately, and miraculously, it never did."

"You put drugs in her food?" I looked up at her, seething with anger. "You never bothered running it through me?"

"It never affected the poor kid," she said, placing her hands on her lap and tapping away on her tablet.

"Then how do you explain this again?" I yelled, waving the papers.

She turned the screen and showed me two brain scans, focusing on the temporal lobe. I snatched the tablet from her hands.

"Scan 1 is the scan I had when she was at Lambda," Jocelyn stated. "Before I started screwing with her food. Scan 2, is the scan I took just now. You see the difference?"

I nodded, handing the tablet back to her. The part of her temporal lobe was a lot more lit up in the second scan. Signs of an out-of-body experience, or in this case– signs of a power.

As I turned back to Y/N, I noticed her shift, and her heart monitor spiked to 134. I flipped my head around to Jocelyn who was turned away, fiddling with something on a tray. "Fix her! What's happening?"

"Hold on!" she snapped before turning around and injecting something into Y/N's arm. "She'll be fine. After all, I'm not going to kill her."

I shot her a glare before turning my attention back to Y/N. She seemed to have calmed down and just as I was about to relax, her eyes shot open.

They started flicking across the room, before landing on me and flicking back to Jocelyn. She sat up in a hurry and slapped my hand off hers. She opened her mouth, but she seemed to stop herself as if she was thinking.