Chapter 44

Third Person's P. O. V:

Naraku smiles to himself as he stands before a large cave with a glimmering barrier, a low growl coming from within.

"Who dares to disturb my slumber?" A soft voice growls, laced with threat.

"Akuma," Greets Naraku. "I have come with a proposition for you." Red eyes gleam in the darkness, the pupils narrow.

"Go on."

"Do you remember your old Mr modi's, the priestess Shion?"

A large silver paw lashes out to strike the hanyo, only for it to connect with the barrier and a boom to resonate through the forest clearing. Naraku remains unfazed.

"Do not mention that wretch's name in my presence!" Akuma snarls as he drags his paw back. "It's been nineteen long years since she sealed me in here, because she was too weak for my great power."

"And that is why I've come," Says Naraku calmly. "Shion has two children; a son and daughter. Her daughter, Sakura, has inherited her priestess powers. I want to get rid of her, and I thought you'd be interested in getting revenge. Do that, and you can be free."

"Then why don't I go after Shion herself?" Akuma growls.

"I'm afraid Shion is dead," Informs Naraku, causing Akuma's eyes to narrow. "Relax. I wasn't the one who killed her. A bandit did. So, what do you say?"

"Hmph. It sounds to me like you're scared of Shion's daughter, Hanyo," Huffs Akuma.

Naraku's smile doesn't waver. "Do you wish to take revenge, or not?"

A long moment of silence.

Finally, Akuma agrees, "You have a deal."

🗡🗡🗡

Sakura was trying but failing to sleep later that night, her friends spread out around her with Karina curled against her.

After waking from a dream about her mother again, Sakura gives up and gets to her feet. She spots Sesshomaru standing not far away and goes up to him.

Without turning, Sesshomaru asks softly, "Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

"I could ask you the same thing but I know you dog demons don't sleep," Sakura retorts almost playfully as she steps up beside her fiancée. A sigh escapes the priestess. "I keep having dreams about mum."

This causes Sesshomaru to snap his gaze to her, softening for just a second. "Those dreams again, huh?" Sakura nods her head. Sesshomaru wraps Mokomoko-sama around Sakura's shoulders to pull her against him comfortingly, as she's standing on his left. Sakura leans her head on his shoulder, enjoying his warmth.

"I think... I think we need to go home for awhile," She says at last. "I think Shinobu and I need to do a little training ourselves. Can we go tomorrow?" Sakura raises her eyes to Sesshomaru's.