Chapter 28

Third Person's P. O. V:

Sesshomaru lands by a river but doesn't see any sign of Rin or his other companions. He can't smell any trace of Rin either, making him think she was washed downstream.

Sesshomaru turns to his left and begins walking to find his companions. He was really worried for Sakura and Shinobu especially, as they're human and might not have survived such a fall, but Sesshomaru doesn't let the emotion show.

As he walks by a cluster of boulders, Sesshomaru stops a few paces ahead when he sees Jaken sprawled on a boulder, pretending to be dead.

Without looking, Sesshomaru asks him, "Jaken." The imp flinches as he whimpers fearfully and squeezes his eyes shut. "Are you pretending to be dead, Jaken?"

Jaken scrambles up and bows as he apologises frantically, "Please forgive me, Sesshomaru-sama! I promise I shall find Rin even if it costs my life!" Jaken whimpers but looks up only to gasp when he sees his master already walking off. "M-My Lord?!" Jaken picks up his staff and scurries after the dog demon who pauses, and turns his head back to where jacket was lying. "Wait for me, My Lord. I'm coming!" Jaken groans in depression. "Oh! You are angry after all!"

Jaken stops as Sesshomaru's eyes widen a little upon seeing the Shinguji siblings on a large boulder together. Sesshomaru whirls around and rushes up to them with Jaken, worry tugging at his heart. As he draws closer, Sesshomaru could see the girl has wrapped her arms protectively around her younger brother, both of them unconscious. Jaken studies them, wondering if they're alive or not. "Oh, my... I wonder, if they're still alive? Being humans and all, I doubt they would've survived a fall from that height, and on these boulders... they're most likely dead..." Feeling like someone is trying to burn a hole in his head, Jaken freezes before slowly looking up to see his master glaring intently at him. Jaken feels his face paling, and gulps audibly in fear.

There's a loud thump as Sesshomaru hits him painfully hard on the head, knocking the goblin flat on the ground. Jaken's eyes spin dizzily as he groans.

Sesshomaru looks back at the Shinguji Princess, feeling his eyes softening. "She must've been trying to protect her kid brother from the impact," He thinks. Sesshomaru gently places his hand on Sakura's cheek and caresses it, wanting her to wake up.

Sakura moans in pain as her eyes flutter open. Crushing relief swims in Sesshomaru's eyes as he meets the woman's gaze, a gaze that's so full of life. Sakura blinks her eyes a few times as Sesshomaru's features swim into focus. "S-Sesshy-kun...?"

"I'm glad you're alright, Sakura-chan," Murmurs the silverette, cupping her cheek. "I was worried you might be dead..."

"I'm surprised I survived that fall," She murmurs, groaning while pushing herself up into a sitting position with her brother in her arms. Sesshomaru pulls his hand back. "Shinobu-kun is alive too. What happened to those men with the sacred jewel shards? And Rin?!"

Sesshomaru answers, "I failed to kill that dead mortal but Rin was washed downstream. I lost her scent when I came down. Can you walk? I'm going to look for Rin."

Sakura attempts to stand up but winces, putting a hand to her lower back. "I'm definitely going to feel that in the morning," Sakura mumbles.

"Here. Give me Shinobu," Sesshomaru says. "I'll carry him on my back." Sakura helps to place her brother on the dog demon's back before he suddenly scoops her up in Mokomoko-sama at the front, causing Sakura to blink her eyes rapidly. Sesshomaru meets her eyes. "Recover your strength."

She nods her head before letting herself relax against the dog demon.

Jaken regains consciousness and says to the Princess, "Oh, Sakura-sama! You are alive. I thought you'd be dead after that fall."