Chapter 33

Sakura's P. O. V:

I stand with Shinobu and Sesshomaru on a grassy hill overlooking a town with rice paddy fields, the sky blue and clear, the strong wind blowing at our hair and clothes. Karina is sitting at my feet. It's been a couple of weeks since our battle with So' ounga, and the cut on my right cheek has healed.

Meanwhile, Rin was back at camp with Jaken, A-Un and the horses.

I glance at Sesshomaru as he places his hand in the hilt of Tensaiga.

I have to silently wonder what it is he's thinking about.

🗡🗡🗡

When the sun goes down, I was startled to see a headless otter demon struggling to crawl up the hill towards us, arrows and spears embedded in his body.

The otter demon collapses but I don't run over to him, because I know with all those weapons on his body, the poor thing is already dead.

I look up when I hear someone approaching to see Inuyasha and his group racing towards us, a younger otter demon with them.

As the wind tosses our hair, Kagome exclaims in recognition, "It's them!" The wind tosses our hair yet again.

Miroku exclaims, "Shinobu, Sakura and Sesshomaru!"

Sango demands to know, "But why?!" They land and gaze in horror at the dead otter.

With tears in his eyes, the younger otter demon jumps down from Inuyasha and runs over to the larger one, crying desperately, "Pa! Hang on, Pa!"

Shippo runs over and says, "Kanta! Bring out the head!"

"Okay!" Kanta hurriedly unties the sack from his shoulders and sets it on the grass. It falls open to reveal the demon's head. Together, Kanta and Shippo attempt to fixate it onto the older demon. However, it just falls off. Shippo and Kanta sigh in sadness.

Miroku says sadly, "We were too late, after all."

"Paaaa!!" The young otter demon screams in anguish before he hugs his father's snout and his body is wracked with sobs.

I feel bad for the little guy as Shippo mutters, "Kanta..."

I turn my head when Sesshomaru turns and starts to walk away. Shinobu, Karina and I follow him but we're stopped by Inuyasha's demanding tone.

"Hey, Shinobu, Sakura, Sesshomaru, what are you doing around here?" I heave an annoyed sigh as we pause and glance back. Can't he just let us leave?! "This is no coincidence crossing paths with you."

I reply, "We don't owe you an explanation." We go to leave again but this time, we're stopped by Kagome.

"Wait, Sesshomaru! The sword that you carry, the Tensaiga, it's... it can save a hundred lives with a single stroke. Please help us! Use your sword to bring the boy's father back!"