Chapter 36

Sakura's P. O. V:

It was night as I stand on a hill with Sesshomaru and Karina, overlooking a village set aflame and being pillaged by bandits. Shinobu was back at camp with Rin and Jaken. The bandits cut down the innocent villagers as the buildings burn around them.

Anger boils in my blood at the sight. I wish I could go down and help the villagers, but I couldn't on my own.

Suddenly, one of the bandits jerks their head to us as the others follow their gaze.

A man pulls his bay horse to a stop as they continue to gaze at Sesshomaru, Karina and I in shock.

Without a second glance, Sesshomaru, Karina and I twirl around on our heels and start to leave.

"Hey, you!! Where do you think you're going?!" A bandit shouts as he and his comrades charge up the hill.

I thrust put my hand and purple energy shoots the man right in the chest. Normally I'd be against killing humans but these men have murdered in cold blood and I. Was. Pissed.

I give the rest of the men's comrades a death glare that causes some of them to shrink back as my energy fades. I slowly lower my arm as I turn to follow Sesshomaru away.

"Hey, you! You won't get away!" The leader on the horse roars as he tries to charge at me, causing me to stop short and whip around.

But before I could even draw my sword, a whip of green light lashes out around me in a circle and all the men collapse on the ground, along with their horses.

I glance to my fiancé as he closes his eyes and retracts his light whip.

"Ungai-sama, it's a woman with a demon!" A monk points out. Several others were with him, wearing bamboo umbrella hats and carrying staves. A monk steps forwards and tilts up his hat. He appears older than the others and wears a blue kimono while the other monks wear red ones.

The one named Ungai demands to know as he glares at us, "Are you responsible for this?" Sesshomaru and I don't answer as we turn and start to walk away

The one named Ungai demands to know as he glares at us, "Are you responsible for this?" Sesshomaru and I don't answer as we turn and start to walk away. "Stop!"

"Why should I?" Asks Sesshomaru uncaringly. "I don't heed humans."

"And I don't have to listen to you," I add. I've heard of these people from my mother, and I really want to get as far away from them as possible.

Ungai calls to me, "You there! You are a priestess, are you not?" We stop as I glance at him with hooded eyes.

"Indeed I am."

"Then you should know how dangerous demons can be. I can see that you're travelling with another demon." His dark eyes flick to Karina.

I say unwaveringly, "I can assure you that neither A-Un nor Karina would ever harm humans. And my fiancé here has protected me more times than I can count." Ungai seems shocked by this. "So I have nothing to fear. Now, if you'll excuse us..."