Chapter 17

Pic above is Toran, a member of the Panther Demon Tribe—->

Sakura's P. O. V:

Shinobu asks as we ride towards our castle on the sea cliff, Karina on Miyu's head, "It feels like it's been forever since we were home, hasn't it?"

I nod as I reply, "It has."

I convinced Sesshomaru to let us return home for awhile as we've missed it so much. At first, Sesshomaru was hesitant, but he'd relented and stayed behind with Rin and Jaken.

The guards at the gate now and let us through with no problem. Shinobu and I take the horses to the stables and rub them down before putting them in the stables.

We then go inside the castle and I go to the cherry blossom tree in the back courtyard with Karina. I perch on the bench and she purrs as I stroke her fur.

As I do, a memory returns to me.

"Now, do you remember which herbs do what?" Mum asks six year old me.

I nod as I point out each herb, "This one is good for stomach pains, this one is used for illnesses and ailments, and this one is used for cuts and lacerations, but it sure does sting!" I pull a disgusted face at the memory of having used it one time.

Mum laughs before she scoops me up in her arms and upside down, making me squeal in fright a little, but we were both quickly laughing as mum spins me around.

I sit with dad as we watch the sun set with Shinobu.

"One day, Sakura-chan, this castle will be yours to rule," Dad says.

"What about Shinobu-kun?" I question.

"His too, but only when your time as ruler ends," Dad explains.

"I don't know if I'll ever be as good as a ruler as you or mum," I say uncertainly.

Dad reassures me, "You will, sweetheart. If you just believe in yourself and your abilities, the same for your brother, then you will be a great queen."

Daddy hugs both me and Shinobu.

"I sure hope to be a great king just like you, father," Shinobu says.

"You will, my son. You will."

Mum and I return from purifying demons when I was eight years old and my brother runs over to us with father not far behind, cosmos flowers in his arms.

"I picked these for you, Sis," Says Shinobu, making me blink.

"For me?" I ask, taking the beautiful pink and white flowers from him. Shinobu nods his head.

"Uh huh! I hope you like them."

"I love them, itotou," I say as I ruffle his brown hair affectionately. Shinobu grins up at me.

I bring myself back into the present only to see that the sun has set, the sky filled with twinkling stars.

"It's that late already?" I say as I get up with Karina in my arms. "I must've lost track of time." I head inside to have dinner with Shinobu.

                         🗡🗡🗡

Later that night, I go to tuck my little brother in bed.

"I miss mother and father, nee-chan," Shinobu tells me, sadness lacing his tone.

I kneel beside him while stroking his hair as I say softly, "So do I, itotou-kun. But you must know that they're both in our hearts always and are always watching us."