Chapter 59 - Katsuki's "I Love You"

Part III

The days in the hospital blurred into one large one. The schedule was the same: wake up, eat, sleep, repeat. Sometimes Hina would wake up with the sun beaming through the window; other times the moon would greet her with its gentle rays.

Every time she woke up, Katsuki would be there, either holding her hand, pressing himself against her, with his arms holding her close, her ear right above his heart as it thumped with a rhythm that lulled her with the calmness of still seas.

One or two days she was questioned, changing the pace. Both times her mind rested a heavy weight on her tongue, not letting her expose anything more than what the police had already known.

She didn't know if trauma was the cause or if it was the same mind block the villains had. Either way it didn't matter. Katsuki had shooed the officials away, seeing and feeling the panic in her shoulders.

She didn't want to sound impatient. Nor did she feel the necessity to express her unsettledness in the hospital's environment. The bright lights, the plain white walls and scratchy sheets all reminded her of The Doctor and his experiments. Reminded her of witnessing the clone of Katsuki dying with a knife in his back and blood staining her hands.

And she hated looking for reassurance that the Katsuki she was with was indeed the original and not a programmed fake made to torment her.

She just wanted to go home.

Five days had passed in this blur, and she was finally being discharged. She felt fine three days prior, but Katsuki and the doctors insisted she stayed a little longer to make sure her body was stabilized.

And after the blur another blur commenced. This time splashed with the color of the skies and the warm auburns and crimsons in Katsuki's home. In their home. Again it was wake up, eat, sleep, repeat. Again and again until a whole week passed them by.

Her nights were dark in her terror-inducing dreams, her weeps waking them both up. His whispers would lull her back to sleep before waking up a second time when the sun stung their eyes open.

Katsuki still hid his scars. Something Hina was curious about but let it simmer in the back burner of her mind. He'll tell her when he's ready.

Hina still hid her fears. Communication was something she believed. But she found herself rather agreeing with little fight the easier way these days. Because with no choices, no worries of making the wrong decision, she could breathe easier.

After all, her bad judgement in a person and her disregard of Katsuki's valid paranoia lead to her capture and torture. It was the truth neither faced yet believed. At least she thought so.

On day eight, when Katsuki was chopping some fruits he knew Hina enjoyed more than others, Hina sat on the barstool for the first time. She had been having breakfast in bed before.

"I was just about to bring it to you," he grumbled, chopping the apples more violently. As though they offended him greatly.

"You should go back to the agency."

He paused, letting the knife clatter on the board. She came downstairs just to tell him this?! Did she not care for her recovery?! With a restrained rage and open concern, he reclined his weight on his palms against the counter and peered through his lashes.

"I'll leave when I have to. 'Sides-" he picked up the knife, trying to remain nonchalant to her sudden suggestion. "-I already filed for a month's leave. The agency has it covered."

She stared at his hands, watching him glide the fruits into the bowl and then tumble into a pile.

"The NVA won't wait for you to come back. I'm sure they're counting on you staying with me to move more freely."