Chapter 46 - A Compromise

Heyo bubs! I'll be back on schedule within the next couple weeks, been busy with getting trying to get adulthood back in order.  

I will be releasing a oneshot related to what happened in ch. 363 of the manga soon, so look out for that if you're interested (〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

Love you guys, and always thanks for the support <3 

-----

Katsuki woke up late today.

He knew he was the only one to blame; he'd slept late after all. He wanted to shift the blame on Hina for his sleeplessness. Wanted to complain how her turmoil brewed guilt and made it impossible for him to find any momentary peace.

But he found himself unable to do so. Not when he was the one responsible for the mess in the first place.

He huffed an exasperated breath, rubbed his traitorously puffy eyes and got up to get ready for the day within five minutes so he had a few to spare for breakfast.

When he was clad in his hero suit, he grabbed a duffle he took to the agency whenever he planned on coming late. Not that he was planning on coming late. He'd see based on how the empathy link was faring then.

He rolled his shoulder once, and opened the door, dreading yet somehow ready to face her impending rage bubbling under his and her skin.

However, he wasn't ready for the scent of sweet chocolate pancakes to hit him like a wall in his path. With a sniffle and peer over the railing, he stomped his way downstairs, slightly shrinking the closer he got to the kitchen.

Because the empathy link was one way of feeling her anger. The bitter, spicy scent of cinnamon and coffee overpowering his sinuses was the other.

He kept his gaze low, but when he reached the foot of the staircase, he couldn't help but look up and glance to where she stood. Her back was to him, but a stack of pancakes were plated on the island, his cup of black coffee right next to it too.

Last time they had pancakes, she'd teased him till his ears were red. Now she was giving him the colder shoulder that made his lungs freeze in fear of the extent of how much he'd ruined his relationship with her.

Just when they'd finally gotten to an understanding, finally worked out their differences, they were back to the distance they had six weeks ago.

He could've left through the front door. But Hina making breakfast, no matter how her emotions were, was her offering an olive branch. An offering that Katsuki could never let go. Not when she'd taken the first step when it was clearly his responsibility to do so. Just how much more pathetic could he get.

So he steered off his course to the front door and to the kitchen. Gruffly, he dropped the duffle beside his stool, and sat with a demure posture. He shoveled the pancake slowly, sipping coffee between bites and not meeting her gaze in shame. So much shame.

But also because he could sense the breakfast was more than a peace offering. It was meant to keep him at home for a little longer. For a conversation perhaps.

He could feel how she wanted so desperately to do something but distrust, wretched, twisted distrust was stopping her. So he continued eating slowly, almost at a snail's pace, all to give her the time she needed.

He glanced at the time on the microwave and he saw he was running late. But he stayed and waited for her to start what she wished to start. It was the least he could do.

When he was half way through his pancake and only a few sips down his coffee, she sighed as she plated the last pancake for herself and closed the stove while taking off his- now her apron.