Chapter 57 - I'll Catch You

So... It's been a while... I could apologize, but I honestly couldn't bring myself to do it again. Main issue is that the past few months my writing motivation has hit a major critical low and it took me a long time to get back in the groove. So I can't apologize for the break since it was a necessary one for me to get back into a space I was content with.

But it does mean my weekly updates will be back. And despite my hate for a writing schedule I will try my hardest to publish on Saturdays from now on.

I know I did leave the story on a mild cliffhanger, sorry for that. I am happy to say the second arc is actually only one chapter away after this one. Angst is still the same and warning that any happy times won't be happening for a good portion of the first half of the third and final arc of this book.

Hope you all enjoy what I have in store for this intricate world I'm creating on top of Horikoshi's.

-----

Four hours have passed since Katsuki saved Hina. Four hours since he felt her warmth drain from her body, felt her pulse wither into nothing. He performed CPR on the rubble of her cell, pleading and crying and screaming for her to wake up.

Denki found him just moments later, and he jolted her heart to beat once again.

The relief Katsuki felt when he could feel her pulse in his chest, weak yet tangible, was like cold water dowsing his body. He vowed that he would never stop thanking the Spark Plug till the day he died; and that he'd never call him Dunce face again.

After she inhaled a sharp breath, her heart stuttering into a steady beat, her eyelids fluttering until they closed again, Katsuki carried her with care, running out of the building and through the battle with Denki covering his back.

His senses were at an all high. Instinct dictated every dodge and every precise hit to reach the emergency helicopter as quickly as his feet could carry him.

As they weaved their way through, other heroes finished their battles, securing the building before any of the villains could escape.

Two helicopters, both for medical care, hovered near the island. One was already taking a severely injured hero to the coast once he finally left the building and into the main front the heroes took hold of; Katsuki would find out after reaching the hospital that the hero was none other than Eijiro. The other helicopter was on standby, waiting for the next patient.

Katsuki was quick and agile when securing Hina into the stretcher, screaming into the handheld transceiver where the healthcare official patiently listened on the other side.

He was about to demand to be taken alongside her, that he wouldn't leave her for another second. But Midoriya was by his side already securing a tendril of black whip around his torso, floating them right behind the helicopter's tail.

Usually, Katsuki'd snarkily reject Midoriya's help with mobility. Today he decided to accept the help with a nod of thanks and a silent plea of hurry.

They took off just minutes behind the helicopter to avoid getting caught in the downdraft. The wing whipped in their face, and Katsuki's throat was getting cut raw from within thanks to the frigidness he breathed in. But he couldn't care less.

His entire being was on the terribly slow yet steady heartbeat within the his chest. The one that juxtaposed his own racing yet thundering heart.

Soon the land was in view, and the hospital was just a few kilometers from the coast. They should reach in ten minutes. And Katsuki was determined to take no more than the time they needed.

His concept of time blurred as they landed and first responders moved Hina from the stretcher and onto a bed, taking her into the hospital.

The pungent smell of alcohol burned down Katsuki's throat and he paced outside her room, waiting to go inside and just be there with her.