Chapter 26 - Comforting From Afar

The night was too long for the alpha to handle.

Her cries of pain, of need echoed off the walls. The literal heat from her pheromones burning his skin when he was upstairs, and eventually forcing him to settle in on the couch downstairs.

It was about three o'clock in the morning when he got his first call from the omega, his fingers just hovering over the green button in hesitance.

Because imagine the torment if she started to whine his name, call him alpha through the little communication device. All his self control would be thrown out the window if that were ever the case.

But his protective nature, his instinct to make sure she was okay, won the tug of war between his mind and his heart.

He tapped the green circle, bringing the phone to his ear as he lay on his back, the other hand tucked behind his head as he stared at the mural ceiling.

"Hm Firework."

Puffs of breaths echoed through the speaker, a restrained whimper reluctantly reaching his eardrum.

"Pufferfish," her voice strained with a tribulation of physical or mental affliction, he didn't know. "It hurts real bad."

He sat up, his hand yanking the blanket off of him as he stood up, his whole posture stiff and in attention. "What do you need?"

"I don't know." She choked. Another huff, another groan of pain later she whispered through the phone, an unease constricting her throat. "I don't know."

"Did you take your meds?"

"Mm hm." She hummed, the sound of ruffling sheets smothering the mic until her voice came even more clear, more crisp even with the ache apparent in her words. "Both doses for the day."

He ruffled his hair on the base of his skull trying to shake off his frustration. He then went to the kitchen, filling a glass of cool water and flushing out the cool water out of the pipes and letting it turn warm for the rubber hot water bag. "I'm getting you water, okay?"

"Okay." She murmured, the relief obvious in her tone.

"Okay," he echoed, tucking the phone between his shoulder and ear, his fingers prying the rubber opening apart and letting the hot water pour in.

As he waited for the liquid to trickle in the bag he heard her pants steadying into a consistent rhythm. "Firework?"

"Still here." A whisper so weak it made his chest constrict. "Still hurts."

"I know." He said, his voice low and soft for comfort. "I'll be up in a minute. Just hold on, okay?"

"Okay," she echoed, her smile audible from the change in her breath, from the reprieve in her sound. "I'll cut the call then. That okay?"

"Okay." He agreed. "That's okay."

And when he heard a static buzz after a click, he placed his phone on the counter, holding the mouth of the spout with the other hand.

When he deemed the bag was full enough, he shut the spout, closed the opening and flipped it upside down to make sure it wasn't leaking and then grabbed the glass of water he'd already filled.

Quickly, he treaded through the cabin and up the stairs to the door of her room. He knocked twice, and a soft "come in'' muffled by door came in response.

He opened the door, his tense brows pinching even closer together as he saw he curled on her side.

When he brought her the first day, the doctor told him how her heats would unstable, how the mild suppressants he prescribed would help in regulating her pheromones so they weren't too overwhelming for her or for him. And just as promised, they took away all the irrational demand of an alpha only for a temporary period of time. But that didn't mean the pain would get any better, would be any more bearable. At least when she was in that delirious state she'd forget what's happened.