Chapter 38 - Friendly Advice

Darkness.

That was all he could see. All around him was the inky black abyss of nothingness, and not even his eyes can adjust to it. He blinked, once, twice, three times, and four. He blinked until he realized the blackness could be his own newfound blindness to the world.

But then a light flashed, stinging his eyes and forcing him to see red for just a moment. He squinted and winced, finally adjust to the single spotlight shining on the figure ahead of him.

The figures.

Two people in the center. Then his eyes widened, his whole body shaking in anger and in fear.

Hina was there. Behind her was Stitch-face, his purple burnt hand holding her from the neck, forcing her to stand on her toes so she could breathe.

He leaped, ready to sock the villain in his face. But an invisible force stopped him, held him back.

He punched the air, again and again, trying to measure if this forcefield could crack under pressure.

But it wouldn't relent, standing strong against Katsuki, invisible yet powerful like steel.

Katsuki's anxiety takes reigns of his mind, his heart racing like a galloping horse and his lungs heaving as though he were fighting a tide.

He punched and punched, his knuckles splitting and bleeding.

At least neither Hina nor Dabi showed emotion as he struggled to break through. At least they remained like statues meant only to frighten him and not actually proceed to truly hurt his soul.

He thought so too soon.

Because Dabi was grinning now, his skin peeling and tearing from the piercings holding him together, his grip on her neck pressing tighter. And Hina winced, tears pooling and her voice scratchily leaving her throat.

"Katsuki," she whispered, her sound fractured as her throat was constricted even further. "Save me."

He doesn't realize it but he's sobbing now, his hands painted red as he kept punching the invisible force.

"Hina," his voice splintered and quaked, the helplessness making his lungs feel smaller, his heart beat louder.

Then cerulean flames lick up Dabi's arm, "Poor number two hero," his voice was sinister, dripping poison and echoing in Katsuki's skull.

"You'll feel the same pain as I did."

And when the blue heat creeps higher on the villain's frame, Hina smiled, tears leaving her blue, blue eyes that always pulled Katsuki in.

"I love you."

Before Katsuki could say a word, blue overtakes them both. Dabi screamed in victory; Hina wailed in pain. Katsuki roared for his love, beating the invisible force with the little energy he had left.

And their screams burned through his soul.

He woke up with a start, his whole body tensing and sitting up while letting loose a small pop of an explosion all at once.

He's heaving hot, restless breaths from and to his lungs. In and out, in and out.

When he felt warmth bloom on his forearm, he flinched, his eyes wild and crazed. Then he saw two pools of azure shine in the darkness of his room, the color soothing him, pulling him in just as the dream.