Chapter 22 - The Female Alpha

Mornings.

Unlike what most perceive them to be—a joyous celebration of new beginnings—they were a sad and lonely affair just before the first light of daybreak blankets on the slumbered earth.

It was the precipice before true happiness filters through, the light blues and purples only remained pendent in in the sky, reminiscent of melancholic solitude.

It was regarded as the elating part of the day, the birth of all good things, the start of new adventures. It was when the birds started to sing, the other critters, the crawling, the walking, the slithering, it was when all of them started filling the silence with jubilant noise of just existing, of just living.

For Bakugo, however, it was the most dreaded part of the day.

Even if he'd always force himself to wake up at the crack of dawn for maintaining his hero schedule, the twilight before sunrise always made him impossibly destitute. His thoughts would hold him captive, chaining down his yearning alpha with all reasons as to why solitary was necessary; why it was safe.

Safe for him and for whoever he might've let into his life. Because he couldn't imagine having another to look after, another he could lean on and trust his deepest concerns with. And then if he did manage to find that person, that one who was the one, only to loose them from his incompetence of being a hero.

Forget never having the courage to see his dream come to fruition, he'd never be able to live with himself after that.

And these burdensome, taxing contemplations would only amplify his irascibleness, making his mornings just as he's always seen them as a child.

Sad and lonely.

Except this morning and the previous one, he'd been arising with the sun in content bliss, just as many have described mornings to be.

The warmth of the sun's light seeping into him, like the universe was giving him a hug while welcoming him into the inception of the new day.

It was a foreign feeling.

And that embrace from the star's glow made him feel as though he was going through the motions within a different person. Within someone who was chipper and euphoretic for what the day held for him.

He assumed it was the fact he'd wake up to Hina's delicate, relaxed smile adorning her lips, the way her body tucked beside him like a puzzle piece meant to fit his.

And despite the rational side of his mind reciting a litany of just how wrong this was for him to feel this way. Just so wrong. And yet, it felt just so right.

The way her silk tresses framed her cheeks, the small indent of her piercing beside her pillowed lips, and how they were parted with small puffs of sleepy breaths leaving her... it was all so precious, so perfect to him.

He watched her both mornings, taking a few extra minutes to just exist beside her, to relish in her silent, slumbered company all so the rest of his day became a bit more bearable, a bit more enjoyable. And those few extra moments, those fistful of seconds managed to make his heart beat hard and loud in his ears, heating him up from his core and to his heart.

He convinced himself the sensation was a byproduct of her scent, of her pheromones altering his perception, nothing more. But the more he lingered in the blanket of their shared essence, he was starting to doubt his own argument.

A shift of her shoulders and his thoughts were disconnected, his attention fully on her every motion, her every twitch. When she did nothing else, he tucked away the stray lock of waves that were tickling her nose, scrunching it up just slightly so.