Chapter 14 - His Past

Like last night, Hina was the first to reach the kitchen to prepare a meal for the two explosive quirk holders.

Yet, unlike last night, she was struggling to keep the kitchen in an orderly fashion while cooking. Where she was humming for the ease of cooking, she was constantly grunting in frustration.

Guess that's what happens when cooking something brand new in the early morning. Especially when one is in a time crunch.

But before Bakugo could come downstairs and critique her cooking skills again, Hina already plated the oozy, cheesy French omelets with a slice of avocado toast laid beneath it. She was honestly baffled to see avocados in the fridge, soft and ripe for eating.

While she brewed her tea, the ash blond ventured downstairs already clad in his hero costume.

He eyed the well prepared breakfast served elegantly on the plate.

Just like last night he was awestruck at her sudden expertise in the kitchen.

Was the evening he walked into her baking massacre just a fluke?

He shook his head at the thought, a ghost of a smile leaving his lips as he sat down on the corner seat. The first sip of coffee traveled down his throat in sublime bliss, the bitterness rather comforting compared to the overly sweet brews cafés like to advertise.

As he took a bite of the buttered toast, Hina sat down.

He froze.

Because unlike any other time they ate together...

She bridged the gap between the pair.

Firework's sitting next to me, he thought while blinking a few times in a stupor, not daring to turn and face her. But that was so much more difficult than he thought. Especially when he could sense her subtle qualities of existence. Her muted caramel scent that tickled his nose, her warmth a little closer than ever before, the sound of her humming delightfully at her cup of tea so much louder than before.

Sometimes he really hated his heightened senses.

Go die! You true alpha perks! He thought angrily while chomping another bite of his toast. 

It took every fiber in his body to not twitch awkwardly from this new development.

Hina decided to sit next to him. She took the first step.

While he resumed cutting his omelet into perfect squares, his frenzied thoughts buzzed in his skull, unaware of the fact that the omega beside him was also in a nerve-wracking crisis.

She glanced at his side, hoping to see any sign of acknowledgement for her advancement and was nearly disappointed at his lack of a response. However, a twitch of the corner of his lips broke his indifferent façade, eventually cracking into a full blown grin.

And Hina.

She smiled softly at that, returning to her delicious breakfast, knowing well that her small step of progress wasn't unseen.

-----

"DYNAMIGHT!" Kirishima roared in Bakugo's ear. "We need you on the crossing of Minamikansen St and Sangyokannishi Rd!"

"Copy Riot!"

Bakugo blasted through the streets, his breath ragged from travelling at the remarkable speed of a human bullet.

Just one more damn turn. He chanted while glaring at the smoky column puffing upward. Just one more turn.

And at the bend, he was faced with the nightmare he had experienced many sleepless nights.