Chapter 37 - My Heart On Your Sleeve

The police officer was shaking when they reached the lawn of Katsuki's house.

She knew it was because of the alpha's raging pheromones leaking out of the house with an intensity that would leave majority people, so she told him to wait at the sidewalk as she went to the door.

In reality, she was terrified of facing the alpha herself. She could feel his worry, his borderline rage at someone, but didn't know exactly who. All she knew was that the someone wasn't her.

So she left the officer to quiver at the sidewalk as she headed to the door, twisting the knob without bothering to knock the door; he kept the door unlocked whenever he was in the house.

And as soon as she opened the door, she was met with his back, the relief rippling down his muscles as he turned around just as swiftly.

"I'm home," She smiled, a shudder of comfort going down her spine from his warm gaze.

But then his eyes widened and narrowed, concern and a certain unease that didn't belong to her crawled in her lungs.

He took two long strides forward, his hand cupping her jaw and his thumb gliding just beneath the wound on her cheek.

The moment she flinched, his thumb halted its movement.

"Katsuki?" She whispered, tentative and cautious, her hand holding the wrist close to her face, the other hand finding its way to his face to brush his bangs away from his forehead.

His brows furrowed closer, the wrinkles of his forehead creasing from the frown he wore.

"What happened?"

Hina was saddened from how broken he sounded. How worry dripped from his voice and betrayed the anger he tried to exude. She understood how helpless he felt, how frustrated he must've been. Nonetheless this was a circumstance she had no control over, and incident she safely returned from. So with a soft yet heavy sigh, she moved her hand so she could trace the scar with her thumb."

"Before you get mad-"

"I'm already mad," He seethed.

"Before you get mad," she repeated, pointedly looking at him with an exasperated expression, "it was something I could neither avoid nor something that actually hurt me."

Katsuki gritted his teeth, his finger accusingly pointing at her cheek as though it personally offended him, "This shitty cut says otherwise."

Even though she was agitated from his irrational anger at the moment, she patiently held his agitated, pointing hand, gently pushing it down as she smiled once again, the tilt of her lips more in reassurance than in mirth.

"It's more of a scratch," she argued, "and it barely hurts."

He roughly grabbed her jaw, tilting it to the side and inspected the red slash with squinting eyes. "You didn't even get it cleaned. Did an ambulance not come?"

"They did. Mina said it'd be better if I go home though." She huffed, crossing her arms from annoyance of his helicopter antics.

Katsuki sighed, taking a mental note to thank Mina later. He'd honestly be much more worried if Hina came in any later than she did.

"You're a dumbass. Ya gotta be more careful with a villain around."

"I'm not made of glass." She said matter-of-factly. "I can handle a few bad guys."

"Bad guys or not, you let the heroes handle it."

"Mina did all the work, I just sent fireworks to his face to give her a bigger opening."