Chapter 58 - Hidden Shadows in the Darkness

***If you have not read "Chapter 10 - To Infinity of 'Insanis Incendium | Dabi x OC'" I highly, I highly recommend you do so. Some of the references in this chapter refer to some of the scenes and instances that take place in that chapter and it will definitely give a better perspective of how the NVA works on the inside. Keep in mind, that entire short story is in Dabi's POV so certain things may be skewed based on his interpretation and his limited knowledge. 

Back to the scheduled program!

-----

"You've been antsy the entire time we stepped inside, Deku. Ya that scared of the villain scum."

Midoriya darted his eyes as they walked down the fortified hall. They'd already handed over all their weapons and had their suits patted down till the security personnel deemed they were in the clear. It was an unnecessary measure to pat down the number one and number two heroes of Japan, but with the recent breakout of Himiko Toga, the guards were extra vigilant.

But that wasn't why he was on his toes every step they got closer to the interrogation rooms.

"I'm not scared, Kacchan." He sighed, "I am a bit antsy, and I don't want to anger you, but-"

"I'm already pissed off-"

"I know that. But-" He darted his eyes again, glancing at Katsuki's uncharacteristically calm expression and back on the floor. "-everyone you pass is taking three steps back from your personal bubble. Are you sure not wearing scent patches is a good-"

"The two shitheads we're gonna deal with are barely affected by my pheromones."

That was it. End of subject.

Midoriya knew better than to push Katsuki's buttons. Especially when he was so wound up from the day. It hadn't even been twelve hours since Hina's rescue and the NVA's capture.It hadn't even been thirty minutes since Katsuki got his wounds checked and cleared after Hina's feral episode.

Following her sedation (something Katsuki reluctantly agreed to help her heal peacefully), Mitsuki's arrival to watch over her, and after the two heroes got the call to interrogate the two villains they captured, Katsuki was more violently calm than usual. His eye expressions were sharper, his every movement too. And it seemed he had a new repulsion to anyone who could detect pheromones.

It was a good thing that at least one person in Katsuki's close circle was unaffected by Katsuki's scent and rage.

And despite not biochemically detecting it, Midoriya knew Katsuki was only moments away from a rageful outburst. However, the thought that Katsuki was controlling his impulses to help Hina feel at ease did cross his mind.

So by the time they reached the end of the hallway, he decided to trust Katsuki's impulses and instincts despite them being more frayed than usual. They haven't let down the heroes in the past and he knew it wouldn't now.

At the end of the hallway were two guards on either side of a double enforced door. They nodded and parted to let the heroes walk through. In the dark room, two windows showed the two heroes sitting in steel chairs, each isolated in their own room. Hitoshi was already there, talking with Detective Shimizu.

"Brainwasher, Detective," Katsuki called with little care for his casualness. "What did you find out?"

"Nothing," Hitoshi grimaced, "They have a mind block that seems to only allow them to talk to you."

He gave both a tablet that has a summary of the report. After glancing it over twice, Katsuki shoves the tablet back into Hitoshi's chest.

"I'm going in alone."