Chapter 67 - Self Restraint

"That was shit."

"Katsuki-"

"No, why was this whole movie draggin' through mud?"

Hina snorted, while peering at him through her bangs. "You're not wrong, but it's important since it introduces the infinity stone-"

"Don't care. It was a shit movie. Only redeeming quality was the effin' god of mischief, dying. Again."

She sunk into his side, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Well this movie is the worst one of the bunch. After this it only gets better."

"It better." He grumbled, tucking his nose into her hair, inhaling deeply.

Scenting was normal. But since this morning, he noted how he was gravitating to her touch way more than his usual. How he craved for her skin, starved of her taste, and was breathless without inhaling her scent.

It was strange. Foreign.

He never felt so possessive for her.

It was new. But above all else, it was annoying.

Yes, he'd established his love for her. But he doesn't understand why he's so-

His croons started. And the rumbling in his throat was considerably louder. Like the thunder in the movie, it was a warning for danger to come.

He moved away, sudden and quick. He could feel Hina's worry and disappointment from his sudden distance; it hurt him too.

But he needed to take his precautions.

He hurried to his bathroom, pulling out a pheromone monitor from his drawer, and pricked his finger to draw a droplet of blood.

While waiting for the results, he splashed water on his face, hoping that it'd cool the heat simmering in and out of his . The attempt was in folly, and when he glanced at the screen of his monitor, he was sure his assumptions were true.

The storm coming was his rut just treading on the surface of his skin. He knew his scent would grow heavy and thick with time. He also knew he'd be a danger to Hina by the time the sun set and the night rolled over.

So he pulled out his symptom relieving pill from the same drawer, swallowing it with no water and grimaced at the bitter taste on his tongue.

He hated this pill. It would dull his senses, make him more irritable than usual, force him to laze away for a day, and worst of all, it would make him take an extra day off work. Sure, he'd be more conscious with his symptoms seeping out of his system. Usually, he'd skip it just so he could get back on the field sooner. After all, rut leave is the only he's ever taken off since before Hina's arrival.

But today, he took it anyway. He refused to take any risks.

"You good?"

He glanced at her reflection, nodding one when his eyes tethered to hers. Her expression was full of the affection bleeding into their bond. But he could feel the gears working in her mind. He could feel a realization pique her curiosity too.

"Your scent changed."

He scoffed a breath while turning and leaning his back against the counter. "I know."

"Is it from your-"

"Yes."

She raised her brows. He sighed.

"When will it-"

"Tonight."

"Need anything to prep? Meds? Comfort food?" She swallowed, her eyes dilating despite the brightness of the overhead lights. "Me?"