Chapter 53: Celebrity lifestyle

Taleela's POV

"Girl!" Susan cries, barging into my office as I work on my computer. I immediately look up from the monitor, wondering why she's barging into my office, all excited.

   "What's up?" I ask, leaning back against my swivel chair as I leave my fingers on the keyboard, ready to type any moment.

   Susan glares at me and drops into one of the chairs in front of my desk. "You and Karanos? You didn't even tell me."

   Tilting my head, I chuckle. "I was planning to, Susan. I've just been swamped."

   "When did he pop the will-you-be-my-girlfriend question?" Susan asks, Wiggling her brows.

   "Last night?" I ask in return. "You sure wouldn't expect me to call you when you're asleep by two in the morning."

   "I wasn't," Susan said. "I was awake."

   Now, it's my turn to wiggle my brows. "Oh?"

   Susan blushes beet and nods. "Why didn't you call me by then?"

   "Before I tell you how it went down, tell me why you were awake by two in the morning. Achilles time, hm?"

   "Well, something like that. We had an argument where he told me how he hated my job," Susan raises her hands immediately as she sees my frown. "Before you react like I did yesterday, hear me out."

   I sigh and calm down. She better says something that doesn't make me mad and call Achilles to cuss his head off.

   "He had this judgemental look on his face while telling me how he didn't like me stripping. I thought he was jealous that my customers had to see my body. He didn't like the idea of me stripping, so I got mad. He tried to explain that he didn't mean it that way, and I walked out on him…."

   By the time Susan is done speaking, I am drumming a fountain pen on my desk, waiting patiently.

   "So, Achilles shamed your job, and all you could do was cry? Why didn't you walk out on him and leave his home? I don't know what he feels like."

   "Girl, it was past midnight. I'm sure you wouldn't love waking up to the news of a young Grecian woman who had been assaulted and murdered."

   She's right. I can't help but say, "My apartment is open. You should've come there."

   Susan rolls her eyes. "As I said again, it was late. Besides, we already settled, and he already apologized. We're cool now."

   I narrow my eyes on her. "You sure?"

   "Yes!" Susan affirms. "Now, unto your new boyfriend."

   I smile, remembering how last night had been. Steamy and sensual. Karanos definitely doesn't want me out of his hook. That was the reason he asked me out. To cage me to himself. The thought is amusing.

   I narrate how it happened to Susan, who is listening with all her attention. I leave out the steamy parts, and I know Susan is going to ask me later, but I'll not tell her.

   "Oh, my goodness. That's so sweet of him. So, have you guys gone on a date yet?"

   I roll my eyes at her. "What the fuck? He just asked me out this morning!"

   Susan slaps her forehead. "I'm sorry. I totally forgot."

   I chuckle in amusement. "How is work going for you?"

   Susan relaxes and smiles. "I love it. Everyone is so nice to me."

   "That's because they know our relationship," I say, not meaning to burst her excitement bubble.

   Susan's expression immediately dampens, "Oh."

   "Hey, don't look that way. I'm sure they're enjoying your company. I asked for a review this morning, and the replies were positive."

   "Probably because I'm your friend," Susan replies.

   "No. I asked someone to monitor your progress. I'm sorry I did that. I trust your ability, but I just had to. The feedback was positive, and I trust you."

   Sighing, Susan nods.

   Once we were done talking, we went out for Lunch at one of the delis on the ground floor.

   "Look, you're all over the net," Susan said as they ate. She was scrolling through her phone. "Everyone is talking about your relationship with Karanos. And what's the news about your company rejecting a contract with Niko Corps? It's bringing negative comments from people."

   I fork a chunk of meat into my mouth, not caring less. "It doesn't matter if they approve of it or not. They're not in charge of my life."

   Susan shrugs, and we continue eating.

   Karanos sends me a text, and a smile coats my face. I pick up my phone, text him back, and from there, we keep texting until lunch break is over.

   As Susan and I walk out of the deli, I notice that a few people are looking my way and talking in hushed tones. Susan seems to be engrossed in hearing what they have to say, but I don't give a fuck. Whatever they say about me doesn't matter.

   But I am not ready for what waits outside for me.

   "Oh, shit…" I mutter and immediately step back as soon as I see a few reporters standing in front of the deli with cameras up and waiting to take unnecessary pictures of my friend and me.

   Susan's fingers wrap around my arm as she pulls me back into the Deli. Now, my staff is watching everything happen with so much interest. Susan and I walk back to our table, and I sigh, leaning back into my seat.

   "What are you going to do?" Susan asks, looking out for the reporters. The security guards standing at the entrance already know what's going on, so they lock up the doors and block the area.

   "I'll give Nikolai a call," I say and dial Nikolai's number. He picks up immediately like he knows what's going on. "Hello, I happen to be in a situation right now."

   "Yeah, I heard. I'm sending a van with guards to the deli right now. Do I come with them?"

   "If you're busy, I'd love you to be here," I say, sighing in relief. I look at Susan, who's fidgety and unused to the cameras.

   Once I end the call, I turn to Susan. "Hey, I'm sorry for putting you in this situation. I made Nikolai send some people to come to get us."

   "It's fine. You don't have to apologize. I'm not just used to all these paparazzi."

       "I know, honey," I reply, and we both look out of the glass windows. The reporters are now at the door and trying to convince the guards to let them in.

   I sent Karanos another text, filling him in on what was happening. Karanos immediately places me on a video call. I answer the call, and immediately his face appears on my screen. I am filled with happiness.

   Who knew that someday, Karanos would make me feel this way?

   Susan notices that I'm smiling and wiggles her brows at me. I glare at her playfully before staring at my boyfriend on the phone.

   "Who's there with you?" Karanos asks. He seems to be outside his home, and he's looking quite casual.

   "Oh, Susan is," I say and tilt my phone towards Susan. She smiles at him and greets him cheerfully. "Why aren't you doing work in your study?"

   "I am not that of a workaholic, babe," Karanos chuckles, and my heart warms when he calls me that. I can feel myself floating, and from under the table, Susan kicks me.

   I fix a glare on her again. "Oh, that's nice."

   "Is anyone coming to pick you guys up? Those crazy paparazzi dudes are capable of harassing you."

   "I know, Kal. I already called Nikolai, and he's coming with a van and bouncers."

   Karanos frowns when I mention Nikola's name. I already know he doesn't like Nikolai because I told him how Nikolai confessed his feelings to me on the night of the Elite Gala.

   "Hey! Nikolai is just looking out for me. That's all. Stop frowning like a little kid. You look so cute."

   I ignore Susan, who is making pouty faces at me.

   "Indeed. He's looking out for you," Karanos says, rolling his eyes.

   From where I am seated, I see a van coming through, and immediately, a call comes in. I immediately ended the call, standing to my feet along with Susan, who also saw the van.

   "They're here," Susan points out.

   From where we're standing close to the entrance, the van stops, and two hefty men dressed in all black steps down from the van. Nikolai follows, and the van moves close enough for us to access it easily.

   The guards push through the reporters blocking their way, and the security guards standing on the inside swing the door open as they let them in.

   "Ma'am, we're here for you," one of the men says to me.

   I nod. "Yeah, I know. Thanks."

   "Let's go," the second man says.

   The bouncers flank Susan and me as they block the reporters from taking a picture of us. In no time, we're settling into the van.

   Who knew only a relationship with Karanos of Niko Corps could cause this?