Chapter 25: Fading Insecurities

Susan's POV

   I have never been to his home. The last time he offered to take me to his apartment, something came up and we just had lunch at a public place.

   I'm seated in his car, directly beside him as he drives. I do not want to look at him because he has been giving me side glances since he swerved out of the public parking lot.

   I try so hard to ignore the beautiful, definitely expensive interiors of his car and the soft music pouring out of the radio by looking out of the window into the busy night streets.

   Up till now, I am still doubtful of everything. I have insecurity issues and that's because of my past. I haven't had the best relationships so far so this one with Achilles, even if it has been defined, makes me really doubtful and scared. I need to be reassured and I am not getting that from him.

   I turn abruptly when I feel his hand close around both of my hands. That's when I realize that I've been peeling the skin around my cuticles.

   "Why are you so anxious?" He asks. "Are you afraid of me?"

   I shake my head immediately. "No, why would I be?"

   Achilles shrugs. "I have no idea. You tell me."

   "I'm not afraid of you."

    I'm only afraid of how we're going to turn out.

   But I don't say the last sentence out loud.

   Achilles gives me a look of unbelief but says nothing. He withdraws his hand, making me feel empty once again.  I want to put his strong, solid hand back on mine but I do not have the guts to do that.

   I notice that Achilles is driving towards the residential area. That's where rich people live.

   Here in this city, there are subdivisions. A part for the wealthy, a part for the well to do, a part for average people like we students and the suburbs where poor people live.

   Achilles is driving towards the first part. I try so hard not to show my surprise. Yeah, his car is quite expensive. A Porsche cayenne and while he showed me to his car, I deadened my expression. I have never been into a car this expensive and it was quite awkward for me while balancing myself. Achilles was nice and considerate enough to tuck me in.

   The avenue Achilles swerves into is quiet and the roads are lit up with gas lamps, making it have a lush glow to it. Few expensive cars drive up and down the street. I have never been to this area before. The buildings are monstrous and intimidating, fit only for the wealthy.

   Achilles must be really wealthy.

   "My home is close by. I live with my younger brother but don't worry, he's rarely around. Busy travelling and securing modelling gigs." Achilles chuckles and gives me a wink. Then he points at a building as we drive past it. It looks like a palace from the medieval times. An ancient Greek building. "That's Karanos family home. He lives there."

   I look back in awe. Someone would mistake that place for a palace. Though I haven't been there yet, the lights and flora adorning the gates speaks volumes of how wealthy the interiors would look.

   "Why doesn't he live alone?" I ask. "I know a lot of people who would love the freedom of their own apartment."

   "Karanos is a family person. They're all very close and used to each other. That's why he chose to live here even when he can afford to buy a penthouse somewhere else."

   "That's nice." I mutter. "So, you're living with your brother because you're not a family person?"

   "You could say that, sweetheart." He shrugs.