Chapter 41: Shocking Announcement

Taleela's POV

Maya Fox is hosting the gala today and somehow, I meet her in the corridor as I walk alongside Nikolai. We are passing through the gallery, our destination is the hall.

   The party has begun and very soon, important and special guests are going to be called to the high table. Maya smiles as soon as she sees me, I am wrapped in a hug.

   "Black women and doing the most!" She chirps.

   Moving out of her hold before I get suffocated by her perfume, I give her a stiff smile, correcting her on my race. "I'm Afro-Italian."

   "Still a black woman." Maya Fox replied, then looked at Nikolai. "Right?"

   "If she says she's afro Italian, then she is afro Italian."

   The awkwardness that fills the whole area is thick. Maya breaks the silence by clearing her throat. "I'd be calling you up to the high table very soon. But before that, you're going to address shocking fans and customers."

   I shrug, unfazed. "Sure, I'm ready."

   Maya Fox smiles at Nikolai. "I like her already. Such a badass, sophisticated woman."

   Nikolai chuckles drily and guides me down the stairs.

   I already know why she's acting all nice to me. She wasn't this way when she had entered the room I was in. In Fact, she had totally ignored me as she spoke to Nikolai. Not until I was introduced as Jemma St James, the CEO of BSL did she give me my due recognition. It was really funny; her throwing her arms around me and telling me how beautiful I was. It was all because of my new title. But I entertained her anyways.

   As we walk down the stairs, I remember that Kal might be in search of me. Just then, my phone rings. It's Susan. I pick it up immediately and stop in my tracks, beckoning Nikolai to be patient with me.

   "Taleela! Where the hell are you?"

   "On my way to Kal. Have you arrived?" I ask.

   "Yes, I have. Meet me at the female restroom." She says and immediately hangs up.

   "Nikolai," I call at the top of my voice since everywhere is a bit noisy. I walk to him. "Uhm, I need to go to the restroom. I'll be back in a few minutes. But I'll be with my date, Karanos."

   Nikolai raises a brow. "Karanos of Niko Corps?" And when I nod, I notice a strange look in his eyes. "Alright, then. We'd meet at the high table."

   I pat his cheek and hurry past him, down the stairs. The restroom is behind the staircase and I make a turn, avoiding a man who tries to grab my arm for a dance I am not interested in.

   As I walk through the corridor in search of the restroom, I am pulled into the closet by a Lady I recognize to be Allegra. She is one of my models but she has no idea who I am.

   Before I can even say a word, she pushes a picture into my face.

   There in that picture, I am dressed in my stripping wear, pole dancing.

   My heart lurches. How the hell was she able to get pictures of me?

   "Why are you doing this?" I ask. My hand trembles but I am strong enough to control myself.

   "Stay away from Karanos, okay? He shouldn't be with some filthy slut who sells her body to people."

   "You are not going to tell me what to do and what not to do."

   "Then, watch me show this to everyone. I'm sure they'd be shocked to find out that Kal's girlfriend strips in Greece." As soon as she is done talking, she steps out of the closet.

   What the hell?

   I immediately hurry out of the closet, casting my worries aside even if I can feel the tension all over my body.

   Luckily for me, I find only Susan in the restroom. And she looks really beautiful. Her silk mauve gown that perfectly goes with her tan skin shimmers under the lights adorning the restroom and her blond hair has been straightened to perfection. Her makeup is light, nude with lipstick matching her dress. I nearly cry in delight when my eyes come in contact with the sapphire teardrops dangling from her ears. Achilles outdid her.

   "Gosh!" She cries. "You look so beautiful."

   I smile at her, letting her scrutinize my dress. "So are you. You look different, pretty as always."

   Susan blushes pink and I raise my brows at her. "You know I've never worn something this expensive. And guess what? Tarantino says I can have everything on my body. It belongs to me! Do you know everything is worth over ten thousand dollars?"

   "Wow. Who's Tarantino by the way?" I ask, dropping my purse on the counter.

   "Oh, I didn't tell you about him. He's Achilles' brother."

   I nod. "Let's go before the party begins. I'm hyped up already."

   "And so am I!" Susan exclaims. "Red looks hot on you. No one could have worn it hotter."

   I honestly blush at her compliment. Not that I am not used to getting it from her but because I am really hyped up tonight. Susan slips her arm into mine and we both go in search of Kal, knowing fully well that we're drawing so much attention.

   "I feel like we're cat walking through a runway. I love how we're being stared at." Susan says.

   "It's totally normal for people at the gala to stare at you," I tell her, absent-minded and searching around for a really tall man with a dark mop of hair.

   "Normal?" Susan asks.

   Realizing my mistake, I stifle a gasp and nod. "Yes. I mean, who wouldn't look at two beautiful ladies walking by? Nobody!"

   Susan laughs and I am happy that I am able to cover up my lie quickly.

   We see Karanos standing with Achilles and I notice that Susan's stance changes. I give her a look but her eyes are trained on Achilles who is talking to his boss. Achilles looks good tonight. Really good and Susan is so lucky to have him.

   As we approach them, they turn, as if feeling our presence. Karanos gives me a slight frown as I walk into his arms. "I'm sorry, Kal. I just wanted to look around and stuff."

   Kal sighs and nods. "Alright. But you should have told me where you were going."

   "Well, I didn't want anyone tearing my dress, duh."

   Achilles and Susan laugh. I notice that she is a bit distant from him, moving slightly away when he tries to touch her.

   Kal laughs. "You're scared of my presence?"

   I shake my head. "No, bozo. I am not. I do not want my delicate dress torn when the party hasn't even begun. It isn't right."

   "Who cares?"

   "Kal, I have an idea that nobody cares. Don't be so pissed."

   Kal raises his hand in surrender. "Alright, alright. I'm sorry. I was just searching for you because soon, the names of the attendees would be called and I want you to be with me."

   If only he knows.

   Before I can give him a reply, a recognizable voice fills the whole hall.

   "The party has begun! Welcome everyone, to the seventh edition of the Elite Gala!".  Cheers are heard from across the room as everyone assembles. The music is already really low.

   "Today has finally come! The long-awaited Elite Gala and to be very honest, y'all look totes beautiful. This hall looks like we're in paradise or something. I swore I already missed heaven when I came in." Everyone laughs at the quite boring joke.

   I don't crack a smile. And that's because I do not find her funny. Kal is laughing and when he sees that I am not, he asks if everything is alright. I nod and give him a tight smile.

   After the introduction and vote of thanks to people and organizations who made the gala today possible, the host began to introduce people to the high table.

   I feel a grip on my arm and when I turn, it is Susan.

   "Are you nervous?" She asks.

   "No, I am not. Why?"

   Susan shrugs. "I don't know. Being called to the high table and all. Sitting amongst these celebrities. "

   "It's nothing to be nervous about. They're all humans, just like you are."

   Nodding, Susan looked forward to being called.

   "And to the greatest Greek Corporation and giant, Niko Corps, I'd love to bring the Niko family to the high table!"

   Everyone claps and cheers. Karanos is smiling and I see two people who seem to be his parents being led by a daintily dressed usher to their table. Two seats are left and I am guessing it belongs to me and Niko.

   Kal stretches out his hand and I take it. Knowing fully well that soon, my name and my company would be called. I am nervous about this because I do not know how everyone is going to react to the news.

   "Well, well, well," The host drawls. My heart beats faster as I take every single step. "This is new. And I know a lot of us will be shocked to the bones. I am also shocked because I wasn't expecting it to turn out this way. Recently tonight, the CEO of BSL that we all know has informed us of new development."

   I can hear murmurs around me as people speak in hushed voices.

   "But all this while, the real CEO, an afro Italian woman who has been attending the Elite Gala with a mask on, has decided to reveal herself as the true CEO of BSL."

   Kal chuckles and looks at me. "What if that was you?"

   "I—" Words hooked in my throat. "Well, that'd be great."

   We're almost at our table when I hear my name called.

   "The one and Only Jemmah St James of Beautiful, Savage Line!" I stop in my tracks as the whole world slows down. The silence is deafening as everyone waits for the Jemmah St James to step out and when I extract my hands from Kal's, he raises a brow.

   Before I can give him a reply, I am surrounded by my guards. Eight in number. Then it all dawns on Karanos as his eyes widen.

   "Bells!"