Chapter 38: Benvenuto al galà d'élite!

Kal's POV

I already sent my chauffeur to go pick Bells up and going through pictures of us that we took a few weeks ago during one of our dates, I smile.

   "What are you smiling at?" Linda speaks up, peering over my shoulders.

   I immediately snatch my phone away from her view. Linda frowns and rolls her eyes. It's just us both in this car with the driver in the front seat. Linda has decided to be a pest today and that's simply because I didn't speak up for her when she was being scolded by our parents.

   When we arrived in Italy, my father was waiting for us at the airport to pick us up. He's someone who values family time and those little gestures of care a lot. So you'd see him coming to pick you up from the airport, and school and making sure he attends every one of your functions. Mind you, he had no idea that Linda was coming with.

   Immediately he saw Linda walking by my side with her luggage beside her, he flared. Linda in particular bore the brunt of his anger and all through our way home, he kept on talking about how kids nowadays had no form of respect.

   Linda on the other hand kept giving me looks. She was asking me to help her explain to my father but I refused. My father hated being spoken to each time he was having his angry moment.

   Getting to my father's penthouse, my mother was also surprised to see Linda with us and when she asked why she had ditched her exams for a gala, my father started all over again. This got Linda mad and she walked out on everybody. She was out of the house before any of us could hurry after her. My mother gave my father a look and asked if he had in any way yelled at her. He shrugged and said she deserved it and well, their arguments began. Not wanting to be involved in their petty hassle which was going to lead to them making up immediately and kissing, I took both I and Linda's luggage— which were heavy by the way -- and went upstairs.

   When she returned, it was evening. My mother was worried sick and Linda wasn't picking up her calls. My father kept on complaining and talking about Linda's stubbornness while my mother shut him up. I wasn't bothered because I knew that she could take care of herself. As soon as she stepped into the house, my mother hurried to her and hugged her, apologizing on my dad's behalf. My Dad, seeing that she had already returned, stalked up to his room and all I did was glare at Linda who somehow found the situation funny as hell.

   And right now, in my father's new Lincoln Continental, Linda has decided to be the bane of my existence. Throwing her legs over my shoulders, picking at nothing on my suit, poking her head into my phone and I just want to bash her head against the car window.

   I'm not going to do that, hah. I love her crazy.

   Totally forgetting that I am hiding my phone away from her, I feel it come out of my hands with swiftness.

   Immediately, I turn to take my phone from Linda who is already staring into my phone with wide eyes.

   "Damn, this is Taleela. You guys are a thing?!" She screams.

   Frowning, I ignore the fact that she's holding my phone while I wonder who she's talking about. Peering into my phone, I notice that she's staring at a picture that I took with Bells when I got back from a trip to San Francisco. She had come to pick me up at the airport and had requested for a quick selfie.

   So, who the hell is Taleela?

   "Who's Taleela?"

   Linda raises her perfectly carved brows at me. "You do not know who she is?" Then she taps her manicured nails against my phone. "Here, this is Taleela. She's a student of Crete University and Susan's roommate."

   It gets more confusing. Linda lets me take my phone from her hand. "Her name is Bells, girl. Her name isn't Taleela."

   Linda shrugs. "I'm guessing it's her other name. Maybe that's the name she bears in school. People do that. Bear a different name at school and another with people they know. So I'm guessing that's why."

   I shrug, seeing the truth in what she has just said.

   When I look up, we're driving through the large gates leading into Hotel Villa Diodoro. A lot of cars are parked outside with others coming behind us. The area is filled with sports cars ranging from Maseratis to Porsches to Lamborghinis. Linda is getting quite excited behind me as she looks through the windows at everything in wonder.

   "Damn, I've never been here before. Looks so surreal," She mutters. "I'm glad I came."

   Chuckling, I get ready to unhook my seatbelt. "Everything you see here is fake. People living fake lives. A whole lot of them owe debts you have no idea about. Don't be deceived."

   The driver is directed to park by one of the tall columns by the valet service. As soon as the engine goes off, one of the men dressed in wine-colored suits steps forward, immediately opening the door.

   I look at Linda, gesturing for her to take her exit but she refuses and asks me to go first, talking about how she wants to make a grand exit from the car. I roll my eyes and step down, indulging in her petty excitement.

   Once I'm out, I begin to look around for any face that'll be similar to Bells'. I know how easy it'll be to identify her because she's taller than most women, possessing the most beautiful skin I've ever seen.

   Linda's arm slips into mine and I am brought back from my search. When I look down at my cousin, I smile. "You actually look beautiful, Linda."

   "I know, right?" She gushes. "I can't wait to be snagged up by one of the most eligible bachelors in the room."

   I burst into laughter and we both walk into the lobby after showing our invitation cards to the guards standing by the door.

   The hall is large and filled with amber chandeliers. The event hasn't even begun but a lot of people are already talking in excited tones over wines. I grab a wine for Linda from one of the trays as a female server passes by.

   "Here's to welcoming you to your first Elite Gala. You should taste this to be initiated into the festival." I say.

   Linda wrinkles her nose and instinctively brings the brim of the flute to her nostrils, inhaling. "Hm, what's this?"

   "That's a glass of Montepulciano D'abruzzo Montepulciano d'Abruzzo is an Italian red wine made from the Montepulciano wine grape in the Abruzzo region of east-central Italy," I explain to her as we weave past people.

   Linda is no longer listening to me, she's halfway done with the glass of wine. I know what I am saying is quite irrelevant to a young lady who only cares about the name and taste. Bells would have been the best person to tell this. There's something about her that screams 'intense'.

   Handing over the cup to me, Linda frees herself from my grip. I frown. "Where are you going?"

   "Mingle, of course." She spread her arms, moving backward and before I am able to tell her to watch her back, he lands in the arms of someone behind her.

   The action is really quick. Linda's eyes widen as the arms of the Italian man. She immediately turns and their gazes meet. That is when I decide to leave them both to mingle, as she said.

   I sight my father talking with his friends and business associates. He's standing with his arm wrapped around my mother's waist. But then, I don't want any of them noticing me. I have to go wait for Taleela— Bells or whatever Linda calls her.

   But it was too late because my mother has already seen me. I tell her not to say anything with my eyes. Because I know that I'll have to be called over to make unnecessary introductions and talks with my father's friends. She understands immediately and nods once before turning back and delving herself into their boring conversation.

   Now, there is a mother you can trust.

   I make my way out of the building, avoiding a few women who know me. I've had casual sex with a few of them over the years and I do not want that to repeat itself this year. The only person I want to have crazy sex with is Taleela… and she is not here yet.

   When I get to the lobby, I scan the whole area for a sleek black limo and when I don't see any, I frown. What's taking this driver so long?  I remember sending him there an hour ago, knowing how long it takes for women to get prepared but he's not here yet.

   I decide to send him a text, hoping he replies to me with a reason that will save him from being fired.

   "Where are u?"

   I wait a few seconds before another text comes in.

   "At the lady's place, sir. She hasn't come down. I don't know what's taking her time."

   She better not be hiding somewhere because I'd be so mad.