Chapter 35: Encounter At the Mall

Kal's POV

My father called a few moments ago to tell me that they have arrived in Italy already. I am at the office, getting set to leave. Achilles says he'll be off today so that he'll be able to get prepared for the gala, courtesy of Tarantino wanting to get him clothes for the party.

   I also have to go home and get a few things done. My parents would be having our extended family over for dinner and I have to purchase stuff for it because we'd be holding it as soon as we're back from the Gala.

   Linda calls me the moment I step out of my office.

   "Hey, Kal," She sings. I sigh, knowing what she's going to say next. "Mum and Dad already left?"

   "Yes, I reply. Didn't they call to inform you?"

   Linda grew up seeing both of my parents as her parents and up till now, she addresses them as such. Not even her parents have the privilege to be acknowledged as such by her.

   "Well, they did." She says, drawing the sentences slowly.

   I roll my eyes and nod at one of my employees that greeted me while passing by me. Linda wants to attend the Gala but my father asked her not to. Her exams start next week and she has to read hard but Linda is adamant. She's not the one to back down. I already know she's going to win this since I can not see her sad, but I push it anyway.

   "So, why are you asking me when you already have an idea that they already touched down?"

   Linda sighs deeply and something clatters in the background. Probably one of her make-up materials, she always goes around with those paints. 

   "Kal, I know how much you want me to come to the gala. Just don't let mum and Dad convince you about me not coming. I am very smart and I have just one paper next week—"

   "And three practical exams, Linda," I point out. I'm standing outside the company, scanning the parking area for a distinct red Alpine A110. Linda is distracting me and this makes it hard for me to remember where I parked my car.

   "You know I'll ace it, Kal. I ace all my exams even when I don't read. Please, let me come with you. I already packed my belongings and even got my designs in order, I don't know what designer would be interested in what I have to offer. That way, I'd be able to kickstart my career."

   I sigh, finally locating my car, thanks to my control button. It beeps loudly and I stroll over to where it's parked, pulling the door open and slipping in. "Linda, Dad's going to be mad at you if he sees you at the Gala."

   "I'd hide real well. I'll make sure we don't bump into each other. Do this for me, please?" She applies that desperate tone she uses each time things aren't working in her favor. Sighing and not agreeing to give in to her pleas immediately, I say, "I'll think about it, Linda."

   "Yes!" She cried.

   Not wanting to spoil her quick happiness but having no option, I say, "I'm not promising, though. I might disagree at the last minute. Don't raise your hopes."

   Linda knows that she already won so she doesn't even bother about being worried about what decision I'll make. "When will you be leaving?"

   "In a few days." I reverse and swerve out of the parking lot.

   "Okay," Her tone is light with happiness. "Book a flight for us both. I love you!"

   Linda doesn't even wait for me to finish speaking, she hangs up immediately and I chuckle fondly, dropping my phone aside and focusing on driving.

   I had called Bells last night, knowing fully well that she had arrived in Milan and we talked at length before telling each other goodnight. I wanted to request for a video call so I would be able to see her face and maybe get her naked so she could touch herself for me. But, I respected the fact that she was really tired and just engaged in a conversation with her. I nearly had blue balls last night, all thanks to her tired voice which had turned me on in the nastiest ways possible.

   When I get to my parent's home, the house is empty. This is because they have traveled. Each time they aren't home, they like everyone working for them to take a leave, returning a day before they did to put everything in order. I grumble as I make my way into the kitchen. My mother directed me to the walk-in freezer, telling me how the cook had pasted a magnetic note of what I was to get from the grocery store on the metal door of the freezer.

   Finding it immediately, I detach the paper from beneath the magnet and immediately make my way back outside.

   Shopping is quite stressful. Having to carry an assortment of large plastic bags to the boot of my father's truck is annoying and I make a mental note to berate them for stressing out their only son when I get to Italy.

   I am so engrossed in arranging stuff in the truck's trunk that I don't see someone come to stand beside me.

   Not until a hand touches my shoulder. I immediately straighten in alert, ready to punch whoever is subtly harassing me. When I see who it is, I stop myself from rolling my eyes to the back of my head.

   "Allegra," I begin, giving her a once over and going back to what I am doing. "Aren't you meant to be in Italy and getting ready for the Gala?"

   Allegra shrugs and moves closer to where I am standing. "Well, yeah. I am. But I thought to see you before leaving for Italy tonight."I catch a whiff of her perfume which I had loved so much on the first day we met. Now, it doesn't smell so nice to me. Only the signature scent of a certain woman in Italy gets me.

   "But, you can still see me at the Gala, right?" Or not. I ask, getting a little impatient. I really need to drop these off and head home. It's actually a good thing that she's seen me here. I'd be totally busy greeting my associates and acquaintances to even have her time. And besides, Bells is going to be around. I don't know how she'll react but I wouldn't find it comfortable when I see Bells talking with another man.

   "You've been avoiding me the whole time. It's so obvious, Kal. It's like you already have another woman in your life. That's why you've been so distant." Allegra complains and honestly, it's getting me all worked up. With my phone in my pocket, I just hope someone gives me a call and gets me out of this situation. I don't mind the caller being Linda. I'll let her come to Italy for the Gala.

   "Look, Allegra," I say when I am done packing in the groceries. "I have been really busy—"

   "With some other woman who has already caught your fancy." She finishes up for me, wrongly.

Not fully, though.

   I ignore her. "I've been busy with work and having to set up things. What I don't need right now is all these from you. If you notice that I am in no way interested in you any longer, what stops you from moving on?"

   "I love you!" She proclaims at the top of her voice and pushes her body against mine.

   Looking down at her, I have never been so irritated. I move away from her. "I don't, Allegra. Get that into your head. I remember telling you all the sex we were going to be having was mainly to satisfy our desires. No strings attached. Why are you telling me this now?"

   Allegra's lips tremble. "I didn't plan to fall in love with you, Kal. You just swept me off my feet and I can't help but fall in love with you the more."

   I scoff and begin to walk away from her. Turning to look at her before I pull the door open, I say, "Find a way to move on from me. I don't love you."

   Suddenly, the look of hurt on her face is replaced with one of anger. Her fists clenched by her side. "Kal, you're going to regret ever turning me down, I promise."

   I facepalm and regret ever having anything to do with this crazy woman. I watch her saunter away to her car. Everything she does is fueled by her aggression. As she zooms out of the parking lot, I just hope that she doesn't get into an accident. Allegra looks like she'd rather die than miss the annual Elite Gala.

   Shaking my head and mentally promising myself never to make the same mistake I made with Allegra, I step into my father's truck and drive out of the parking lot.