Chapter 63: The Breakup

Karanos' POV

"Jemmah, listen to me," I say as I follow her out of the beach house. We haven't even been here for half a week, and all this is happening. I feel so frustrated and aggravated at myself.

But Jemmah doesn't even give me listening ears. She hikes her tote bag higher and continues to drive her luggage toward the door. Pulling the door with all her might, she steps out and nearly swings it shut in my face, but I am quick to hold the gate and follow her outside.

She already booked a ride about an hour ago, and the driver is already here with his car purring. As soon as he sees her, he climbs out of his car and takes her luggage from her. Jemmah steps into the back of the car while she waits for the driver to place her stuff in the trunk.

She doesn't spare me a glance throughout the ordeal. Her jaw is set, and I see that she's trying so hard not to break down.

I climb down the porch steps when I see the driver wasting a bit of time in the trunk and go over to the side of the window she's seated in.

Thankfully, the windows have not been wound up. I position myself between the low window and the space left for air to pass through. "Jemmah, look at me, please."

But Jemmah is ignoring me. Like, she's saying nothing to me, and she's also not looking at me. I've always known her to be someone who couldn't get easily swayed and who was in control of her emotions, but this Jemmah I was seeing was entirely different. Like a stranger, and she didn't spare me one glance.

I sigh when I hear the car trunk shut. The driver comes around and opens his car, and Jemmah tells him she's ready for the drive. She hurries to the other side of the car and far away from me. Seeing that she doesn't want anything to do with me, I step back and watch the car drive out of the gates.

Slowly, I walk back inside. I don't know what emotions to feel. I don't know if I should feel terrible or if I should feel good that she's leaving me to think.

But I always wanted her by my side, and she's gone now. She doesn't want anything to do with me because she thinks I'm a murderer who should have died in place of her parents.

In anger, I punch into the wall before me several times. Groaning, I step back, breathing heavily, before looking at the white walls stained with my blood. I fucked up big time.

I need tons of sleep to forget about this for a few hours. Remembering the hurt, I saw on Jemmah's face keeps making me feel like a horrible person.

But I don't get to sleep because halfway into my nap, I am awoken by the shrill ring of my phone.

Thinking it's Jemmah, I jolt up immediately and pick up my phone on the bedside table to see who the caller is.

It's not Jemmah but Achilles, and he's outraged.

"The contract has been withdrawn, Kal!" Achilles exclaimed. "Did you do it when you were drunk last night?"

"Do what?" I ask, frowning.

"Lay a hand on her?"

"For fuck's sake! What do you take me for? An abusive boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend? I don't think you're in that position anymore," Achilles says.

I climb out of my bed and walk over to the window. "What do you mean?"

"She withdrew the contract and told a group of reporters waiting in front of her home that she's no longer in a relationship but single."

My fingers fun through my hair, and I groan. "Oh, God,"

"Tell me, Kal. What's it? What caused all these?"

"Achilles, that'll be for later. Send a driver here to pick me up immediately!"

A few hours later, I am seated in my father's office while he paces, livid. Achilles joins us later since he's one of the executives, and my father has an announcement to make.

"I am charging them to court. Alright, I filed a lawsuit, and Achilles, you should send them a mail before the day ends, so they know what's coming to them. They do not know who they are dealing with!"

  "I do not agree with this, father," I say to him in the calmest tone I've ever used. "Let's just let them be."

But my father doesn't even care. He comes to stand before me. "Hey, lover boy! You're not going to tell me how to run my company, okay?! You were given just one task, and you bombed it. So sit back and watch me take control and clean up after your mess."

Immediately, I rise to my feet. What I am feeling right now is more than anger and hurt. I feel like a terrible person, but my father isn't going to understand, so I stand on my feet and walk out of his office, banging the door shut behind me.

As I walk through the corridor, I notice that everyone is looking at me and talking in whispers, but I don't care. I go straight to the ground floor and enter my car before zooming off.

Taleela's POV

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Jemmah?" Nikolai asks, dropping a file before me.

I am seated behind my desk while I type away on my keyboard animatedly. "Yes, Nikolai. I have concluded. Did you give Tobias a call?"

Nikolai swallows, but he nods anyway. "Yes, I did."

"Alright."

Nikolai sees that I am not in the mood to engage in any conversation regarding what happened between Karanos and me, so he decides to leave.

Only to be stopped by me again. "Wait."

Nikolai turns. "Yeah?"

"I want you to take over the company for a few weeks. I need to take a break before I crackdown," I say before typing my last word into the monitor. I stand to my feet and flex my fingers.

"Are you sure?" Nikolai asks, looking at me with so much uncertainty.

I nod. Am I sure? Yes, I need someone to run this company for me. I am so tired and devastated, and I don't believe I've ever been this heartbroken my whole life.

I don't even know when tears start to run down my cheek. I immediately wipe my tears, but I guess Nikolai already sees it because he's walking towards me and engulfing me in a hug I need.

I let him hold me while I sob against him. "Nikolai, I'm so shattered,"

"I know," He whispers. Then he leads me to a couch in the room, and we both take our seats. I am still cradled in his arms, and I find that comforting.

"Kal was the little boy who caused my parent's accident when I was still very young, and I fell in love with him. I always knew I would hate this little boy who jeopardized my parents and put me in pain. I had to live in many foster homes before a relative found me. While he lived with his family, enjoying the affection that came with it. I was never shown love after my parent's death, and now he's here to show me some?!"

"I think you need to calm down and rest. You're ok, so much hurt, and you need to rest," Nikolai advises.

Nodding, I pull away from him and stare into his eyes. His eyes are comforting, and that's just all I need.

"I'm sure he got the news of the contract being withdrawn and our breakup, right?"

Nikolai shrugs. "I have no idea. Maybe he already did. But I think you did wrong by withdrawing the contract. You breached a contract of warranty, which can be used as leverage against you."

"I don't care!" I retort. "Can't you see that I don't care?"

I know Nikolai doesn't believe me, but he nods anyway. "Alright, Jemmah, I think you must go home and get some rest because...."

His voice fades when he sees the way I'm looking at him. But he thinks it the other way round and leans in to kiss me.

We kiss for a few seconds before withdrawing. I let him kiss me, but it's very different. There are no emotions, just saliva being exchanged, and it feels so bland. It lacks that fire spark I have with Karanos.

I decide it isn't a good idea, so I immediately stand on my feet and walk to my desk before picking up my purse. I give him a crooked smile while watching him try to compose himself after this kiss.

"Thanks for all you do, Nikolai. I think I'll take my leave now. You can use my office."

I walk out of the office, and when I shut the door, I lean against it and close my eyes.

What have I done? But a shrill ring makes me jolt.

It's Susan calling. I groan and pick up. "What's it, Susan?!"

"You fucking broke up with Karanos?!" She screeched.