Chapter 43: Oh Well...

Taleela's POV

  It's Karanos. He has a smile on his face, not warm like it usually is but distant. I give him a quick smile and begin to dish food onto my plate. I am too hungry to engage in any conversation.

   "So, all these while, I have been having sex with a client who doesn't want to award me a contract," Karanos laughs. I look around, glad that few people are at the table.

   Bending towards him, I whisper. "Not here, Kal. We can talk this out later."

   Karanos's face is set like a stone. "No, there's nothing to talk about later."

   Really?

   Does Karanos think I'll go on my knees to beg him? Or follow him around to make him see reasons? If that's what he thinks, then he's onto something.

   I give him a salty smile. "Okay." I quickly dish whatever I'll be eating onto my plate, ignoring his presence beside me.

   I walk away, knowing fully well that I left the desired result on his face. He is probably expecting me to try to make him see sense in what I am saying. But Jemmah doesn't do that.

   Susan is at my table when I get there and Nikolai, seated behind her, gestures to me. I nod at him, silently willing him to stay out of this.

   Dropping my plate on the table, I smile at Susan who is obviously not smiling.

   "Really?" She begins. Her stare is filled with shock and annoyance. "So, I've been living with the CEO of the famous BSL, and not for one day did she consider telling me. Tell me, am I even your friend?"

   I sigh and close my eyes. I pull out a chair for Susan to take a seat but my roommate doesn't. "Susan, first of all, I'd like to tell you that I am really sorry. I know I should have told you as a very close friend of mine but I had reasons. I had reasons and I hope you understand soon."

   Susan, not having a single bone of holding a grudge in her body, finally sighs and brings me into her arms. I close my eyes in relief, happy. At least, she understands me enough not to hold a grudge.

   When she releases me, she's smiling. I return it genuinely. Before I know it, she's pinching me. I yelp and she laughs. "That's for not telling me you're Jemma St James of BSL, bitch!"

   We both burst into laughter. Then I decide to invite her over. "You'll come to my place right?"

   Susan's eyes widen. "Yes! I will. When do you want me to come? First thing tomorrow morning? Or do I crash at your place tonight so we can discuss it? I'm so excited!"

   "Take a chill pill girl," I chuckle, seeing how hard it is for her to contain her excitement. "Achilles is going to have my head tonight if I snatch you away from him,"

   "Oh, I definitely will," Achilles says as he comes to stand behind Susan. He wraps his arms around her waist and I see Susan's resolve fall flat. The girl is smitten and gone. Peering down at her and looking into her eyes, Achilles smiles. "I'm sorry, baby. But I own you tonight and tomorrow morning. You can see your friend, now turned CEO, tomorrow."

   Susan pouts but I know it's fake. She wants to be with Achilles and that pout is only to get a reaction out of him.

   Achilles chuckles and plants a kiss on her hair.

   Susan has a deep blush staining her cheeks as she looks at me. "We'll see tomorrow evening, then?"

   I nod. "Yes, we definitely will. I'll send you the address to my apartment."

   Her face crumples. "I do not know anywhere in Italy."

   "You can take an Uber. Give them directions. Or do you want me to send my driver to pick you up?"

   "Or I could drive you there," Achilles suggests.

   Susan contemplates for a while and comes to her decision. She gives me a sorry look. "Achilles is going to drive me to your place. "

   I shrug, totally happy for the two. Susan most especially. "Sure."

   "Enjoy your night, Bells— Jemmah," Everyone laughs as Achilles corrects himself. "And, congratulations?" He quizzes, unsure of what to say.

   "Anything will go."

   "We'll see before the party is over, okay?" Susan says as she walks away with Achilles who has her in his arms.

   I nod, smiling at them both. When I turn to take my seat, I notice Achilles looking at me. I give him an awkward smile. "You have good friends."

   "Sure. It's just Susan, though. Achilles is her boyfriend."

   "At least, they're good to you," Nikolai says, looking at me with an expression I have never seen.

   I nod anyway. Then I dive into my food, savoring the beautiful meal, washing it down occasionally with a glass of champagne. I had a lot of wine tonight. I wonder why I haven't gotten tipsy.

   After our meal, ushers come to our table to stack up our plates and replace our bottles of champagne into the ice bucket. We watch performers do their thing. A lot of fashion companies begin to announce their annual fashion week and certain celebrations and launching of designs. Nikolai walks up to the stage to talk about how I'll be taking the position with immediate effect and how I'll be bombarding the fashion world with the designs I have been creating in my absence. Everyone claps while looking at me and I bow in courtesy.

   After everything, people are busy mingling with each other while one famous musician performs on the stage. I search around for Kal but I do not even find him in his seat. He must be somewhere around.

   I shouldn't be searching for him but I can't bring myself not to.

   This building has a very wide balcony and the view is beautiful. Deciding to go there, I walk around the thick, tall columns.

   Someone is standing in front of the stone barricade. I know who it is from the height, hair, and body frame. He's so easy to spot. Such a handsome man.

   When I am standing directly behind him, I raise a hand, resting it on his wide back.

   Kal turns to look at me. In his eyes, I can see deep hurt. But the expression is gone as soon as it comes.

   "Hey, Kal."

   Kal scoffs. "Why are you here?"

   "To talk, of course," I shrug. The cold wind slaps against my skin and I shield my bare arms with my hands. Kal's eyes dart to my arm. Taking off his suit, he wraps it around me.

   "You shouldn't have," I say, trying to hide the blush creeping up my face. I am a hard woman but this gesture has my heartwarming.

   "There's nothing to talk about, Bells— Jemmah," This was the same mistake Achilles had made back at the hall. It's going to take a while before they get used to my name. "Taleela?"

   "Yes. Bells isn't my name, Kal. Neither is Taleela. I am Jemmah. I think you should start calling me that."

   Before he replies, we hear the clearing of a throat beside us and when we both turn our heads, it's Nikolai. I sigh, noticing how Nikolai is watching Karanos.

   "Your assistant is here," Karanos says, nodding towards Nikolai. "I have to go."

   He begins to walk away and I call after him. "We'll talk later?"

   Karanos doesn't stop. He just shrugs. "I have no idea."

   When he's gone, I turn to look at Nikolai, slightly angry that he had to be the one to interrupt our conversation. "Want something?"

   "Uhm, kinda," He says, stalking closer to me. His stance has changed which is weird. "I need to talk to you about something."

   "Go ahead."

   "I know that this might be the wrong place or the wrong time to say this, but I really have to. I have to bottle this up for years and I really can't keep it in anymore,"

   I lean on the balcony, aware of Karanos' jacket still wrapped around me. I take in the strong masculine scent of him laced with my favorite cologne of him.

   Nikolai's blond hair is being whipped by the wind. He's really beautiful, I must admit.

   "I've been feeling a lot for you. Ever since I saw you walk into your company that day. Though, I decided not to tell you because I didn't want it to seem like I was rushing you. But right now, at this moment, I want you to know that I love you so much. You're such a strong woman, industrious, and extremely beautiful."

   Blinking back in surprise, I stifle a laugh. Is Nikolai confessing his feelings to me? I would never have expected it till this moment.

   I pull Kal's jacket tighter around me, noticing how desperate he looks. Damn, the dude must really be smitten.

   Being the blunt woman that I am, I decide not to waste his time by leading him on or raising his hopes. I am not the type to do that. I don't even want him to continue his confession.

   "Nikolai, I appreciate you telling me this," I notice the look of hope in his eyes and I feel sad that I'll be dashing his hopes soon. "But, I am really sorry. I don't love you back and I definitely would feel good leading you on. Which is why I am telling you right now."

   I notice the look of deep hurt on his face.  Then immediately, he smiles and nods "It's him, right? Karanos of Niko Corps?" Before I can protest, he interrupts. "I understand. Thanks for telling me the truth."

   I watch him walk away from me, feeling quite hurt that it had to be this way. Nikolai is a nice man and also attractive but he isn't my type.

Sighing, I lean against the stone barricade, staring into the night and ruminating over all that has happened tonight.