Chapter 49: Getting Acquainted

Taleela's POV

"Ma'am, it looks like a couple of reporters are going to disturb your entrance," the driver says as soon as we get to the front of my office building. Looking out of the car's double-tinted windows, I notice that he's actually correct. I shut my eyes in frustration. Why did Nikolai not attend to this?

   Picking up my phone, I decide to give Nikolai a call.

   He picks up. I don't even wait for him to speak. "Why didn't you inform me that there would be reporters? Why have they not been taken care of?"

   "I'm really sorry, Jemmah. I did that for a reason. Tell the driver to drive towards the employee's parking lot."

   "Okay," I reply and hang up. I inform the driver of the new development, and he immediately follows my instructions, reversing as he trafficates to the left. Thankfully, the reporters can't see me from the double-tinted windows or even recognize my car because they're too absorbed, expecting me to make an appearance.

   The employee's parking lot is filled with vehicles ranging from trucks to sleek cars to average cars, even dispatch motorcycles. The driver finds a parking space, and as soon as he shuts his engine, he steps out of his car and makes his way toward my door.

   I step out into the sunshine, and thanks to my sunshade, I don't squint. Instead, I look up at the sun, smiling at its rays.

   I thank my new driver. He's going to pick me up after work. He'll be doing this for a few weeks till the paparazzi decides to take a break from me or even move on.

   Nikolai is standing by the back exit. He's dressed in a sleek charcoal suit tailored to his fitting, and his blond hair, as usual, is gorgeous. He looks good on anything, and I remember the night of the party when he confessed his feelings to me. I would have considered having a sexual relationship with him, but Kal is already in the book.

   "You look… like a boss," Nikolai comments, taking in my outfit before I am wrapped in a hug.

   Smiling, I nod and twirl so he can see me fully. "I know. I intend to intimidate everyone. That's the Jemmah signature,"

   "Let's go in," Nikolai says and guides me in. "The reporters are going to wait till they're tired. They must have forgotten that this company has more than one door."

   I chuckle. "I don't even have the strength. All I want to do today is settle in. In Fact, I'll be floating around throughout this month," I explained to him as we took the steps. It's stressful, and unlike the front building, it doesn't have an elevator, so we must take the flight of steps. My voice gives feedback that I don't really like. "Getting to know my employees, doing a thorough clean up and all that. And yes, did you meet my friend, Susan?"

   Nikolai nods. "Yes, I did. She's waiting for you in your office, as you requested."

   "That's very good," I say. We're already at the door that leads out of the stairwell. Nikolai twists the knob, and it comes open.

   "Ladies first," he says politely. Giving him a small smile, I step out of the stairwell.

   Feels good to be back. I am first welcomed by the white lights flooding the whole area. The pastel-colored walls make nostalgic feelings rush back as I remember my mother's old secretary showing me around and explaining how my mother picked each color. Sadly, I'll be changing these colors to something more defined soon. It'll be like taking away a part of her, but I believe it's a good thing to move on from my parents' death. It's been so long. Really long.

   "Everyone's quite excited about you repainting the whole interior and redoing it," Nikolai says.

   I like how he can read me. Even if it's not my mind, he is very good at reading my tone and body language, and I have to admit that it's a remarkable trait to possess.

   "Why?" I ask as we walk through the narrow corridor leading to the executive wing. A few workers are in motion, going into different offices and working like they enjoy their work. I know how to get these types of people.

   "They find it boring. The colors. It's just plain, screaming mediocrity," Nikolai explains. A few employees recognize me, and their eyes widen as their gazes hit mine, but it's only for a really short while. I am not going to hold them to it. I know how intimidating I look right now.

   "And also, they feel solid colors should be painted on the walls; it'll will increase our buyer persona."

   "I wouldn't want to work in an office that looks like a barbie house," I say, feeling a bit horrible for saying this about my mum. I know she'll understand that I did it and wish for the best. This place looks so old, and I turn to Nikolai.

   "When will renovations begin?" I add.

   "Anytime you want." He shrugs. Before I can give a reply, Nikolai raises his hands to the air and claps loudly. He's standing in the middle of the large floor.

   People seated behind the computer, the designers, and everyone all stand. Nikolai sends someone from the design department to get everyone, even from the production department.

   A few minutes later, I am standing before a team of over one hundred and fifty people. They're all dressed impeccably, and I must say, they look really impressive. I do not want to waste my time talking. Susan is waiting for me.

   "Good morning, all," I begin in the sternest and most commanding voice I have ever used. "I hope you have read through the small card given to you?"

   Everyone nods. "Alright. That's great. We'll just take baby steps before I get used to you all. And I am happy to be working here with you all after years of staying away from my true calling," looking around, I begin to walk away. "We'll dive into the rest later. I have a busy day today. Get busy, everybody!"

   Nikolai shakes his head, and we both walk toward my office. "You're so nonchalant. Are you sure they're going to enjoy working under you?"

   I shrug.

"I don't really care, Nikolai," Then I give him a soft pat on the back. "I know my way from here, honey. You gotta go check on your babies."

   His eyes land on mine, and he stares intently at me, like he's looking for something. But he soon stops himself and nods, blinking like he's having a moment of clarity. "I'll come to your office later today. That way, we can discuss."

   I wave him goodbye. "See you around!"

   Susan is seated on one of the couches in my office, and a cup of coffee sits on the table before her as she folds her legs. She's dressed impeccably in a navy blue pencil skirt and an orange top. Her navy blue pumps are sleek and shiny. It even looks expensive.

   Susan stands to her feet awkwardly. I know how she's feeling right now. She doesn't see me as a friend but as an employer, and that's going to make me trust her the most.

   "Hey, Susan," I greet, walking straight to my desk to drop my back. "I'm sorry. I should have arrived earlier."

   "Oh! It's not a problem at all," She replies. "I even had the opportunity of looking through your office. It's really beautiful and minimalistic. "

   "I know. Susan, I'd love you to be the head of the design department. I already told you that, right?"

   Susan nods and stands to her feet. She comes to my table, sits, and smiles at me.

"This is so great. I can't believe all these are happening," she gushes in delight.

       "Believe it, it's all happening," I say to her, I give Nikolai a call, asking him to send someone to my office. While we wait, Susan and I converse for a while before one of my employees arrives and takes Susan to Nikolai, who will be showing her around.

   Today passes in a blur. I don't think I did a lot. I used my first day in my office to go through files with my secretary as we got acquainted. Once it's evening, I dismiss my secretary, asking her to go home while I spend the rest of the evening working.

   Nikolai must have gone home because he doesn't drop by my office. Susan had already come to tell me she was going home, so I took it as that.

   I am typing away at my computer when a call comes in. Heaving, I crack my fingers before picking up my phone to see the caller. It's Karanos.

   Sitting up, I remember I had asked that we see today. Damn, I must have forgotten.

   "I'm waiting downstairs. Can you come there for a minute? Don't know my way around here."

   Pushing my seat back, I stand to my feet. "Sure."