Missing (Jac)

Janet Shakur- 43
Amaru Shakur- 45
Detective Brown- 21
***

Nobody's POV
Saturday
2026

Janet sat in the living room while watching The Golden Girls. This is how most of her Saturdays are spent when her husband is at work. She doesn't have any kids— well she does have a daughter. Khori was her name— or is her name. She was kidnapped from her crib about twenty years ago.

Someone had come into their house at night and kidnapped their daughter. They called the detectives but as time went by, Khori was nowhere to be found. Every year that went by, the detectives slowly stopped searching for her. By the tenth year the detectives told the couple that children aren't usually found by the tenth year and if they were found, they were dead. The couple was in tears but they never gave up hope, hoping that their daughter would show up one day— alive.

The Shakur's didn't have any more kids fearing that if their daughter came back she will feel as if she were being replaced.

"How about some whipped cream?" Dorothy spoke eating her ice cream.

"I think we still have a can. I'll get it, it's in my bedroom." Blanche said standing up.

"Never mind Blanche." She said and stopped her.

Janet laughed at them. She found this show to be very humorous. Just as the show went to commercial a knock came from her door. Turning off the tv she got up and walked to the door.

"I know this man did not forget his keys again." Janet said talking about her husband. He has a habit of leaving his keys at home when Janet is in the house. Looking out the window she saw that a random car was parked in front of her house.

"Okay so maybe it's not him." She mumbled to herself. Opening the door she was met with a young woman who looked as if she was in her early twenties.

"Hi, how may I help you?"

"Good evening ma'am. Does a resident by the name of Janet Shakur live here?"

"Yes, I am her."

"Okay good. I'm a detective working on your daughter's case, Detective Brown." Janet's heart began to beat fast. She was hoping that the detective would give her some good news.

"Come in." Janet said moving to the side allowing the detective to walk in.

"Would you like a bottle of water?"

"Sure." Detective Brown sat at the dining table waiting for Janet to come back. Soon she came back and sat at the dining table— across from the detective.

"So how did you find my case? I thought that it was a cold case."

"Well, my great uncle was the captain on the case."

"Captain Ace?"

"Yeah."

"Oh really, how is he doing?" Detective Brown took a sip of her water before answering.

"Well, he passed away last week, pancreatic cancer."

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry." Janet said grabbing her hands, feeling sympathetic for the young detective.

"It's okay. I was going through some of his cold cases and this one caught my eye. I want to help you."

"Thank you so much."

"You're welcome. Tell me what you remember from that night." Detective Brown said grabbing her notepad and pen.

2005