Abuse (Jac)

You can recognize survivors by their creativity. In soulful, insightful, gentle, and nurturing creations, they often express the inner beauty they brought out of childhood storms.

August 21, 1991

Janet was furious at what she saw her sister say on tv. Her oldest sister, LaToya, did an interview and told Janet's business to the entire world to see. She dialed her sisters' number and she answered on the second ring.

"Toya! Why would you tell the whole world that Joseph sexually assaulted me?" Janet questioned turning off the tv since the channel changed.

"I never said that he did it to you. My exact words were "I don't know what happened to Janet. I don't know, she's never spoken about it. I certainly hope he didn't." The way you are acting right now, tells me my answer. Why didn't you tell me? I could've helped you or something. I could've made him do it to me more just to save you."

"I- I don't know. I was scared." She stuttered wiping her tears that fell.

"I was scared too. Reebie was scared also and she ran away."

"H-how did you know that he did it to me too?"

"I already knew that it was happening to you but I didn't want to believe it until I heard you say it. I was positive that it was happening to you when Joseph took you to your room once and y'all stayed there for hours. I knew it was happening when you didn't want to fall in love with Amaru because you thought that he was going to treat you the same way that Joseph did."

"I was giving mother little hints to help me but I guess that she didn't want to believe it. W-Why didn't she leave Toya? Why didn't she help us?" Janet asked her older sister.

"I don't know Jan, I ask myself those same questions too. You're my younger sister and I love you so much, you could've told me."

"I didn't know. I'm sorry!" She sobbed on the line.

"It's okay, you don't have to apologize. I know you were hurting and that you were scared, but you are safe now." Janet stayed silent.

"He's still doing it to you?!"

"No, he just makes little comments and it makes me feel uncomfortable."

"Oh my god. Does Amaru know?"

"No, I only told him the good parts of my childhood."

"Everyone's childhood doesn't have good parts."

They stayed on the phone for a while before Janet got off and fell asleep on the couch.

May 16, 1976

Today was Janet's 10th birthday and she was so excited, but as soon as she woke up that excitement immediately went away. She was upset that her older sisters, Reebie and LaToya, weren't going to be here to celebrate with her. They had ran away a couple of months ago and they weren't coming back anytime soon.

So Janet was stuck with her stinky older brothers. She got out of bed and got ready for her big day. Once she was done in the bathroom she walked downstairs to the kitchen.

Expecting to see her mother, she was met with her father instead. Janet sighed before taking a seat at the table.

"Happy birthday princess."

"Thank you, Joseph. Where's mother?"

"She went to drop your brothers at school and she has to go pick up your cake. With all the traffic, she might not be back for another hour or two."