Chapter 44 - In the sky over Liberio

- Still, it seems to me that my presence here isn't necessary at all.

- Y/N, I'm calmer when you're here. Yeah, and the doctor will not interfere with us, who knows how everything will go.

Y/N looked down at Marley. She stood in the control room of the airship, which they successfully lifted into the air. At the wheel was Onyankopon, who was receiving instructions from Hange.

Six months ago, a decision was made to coordinate the mission to Marley. Almost immediately, the production of a new type of the ODM, a new uniform for scouts and other necessary equipment began. Two months later, scouts were sent to Marley to study the mood on the mainland. All this time, Hange and their team were developing a plan of attack, although, engaging in combat was a last resort. They all understood that the optimal solution was to simply take Eren and his brother, but for some reason, Eren wrote that everything should be revealing. They were supposed to attack Marley, showing their power.

Y/N often thought about what Eren's plan might be. The demonstrative attack, the involvement of Zeke... Eren spoke in riddles even in his letters. Y/N also participated in the development of the plan, but only in terms of technical support - she admitted that she wouldn't make a good strategist. She was well versed in science, medicine, but strategic plans weren't her forte. Therefore, she never wanted to lead. She listened to what the other scouts were saying. There were many things she wanted to mess with, but she admitted that she had no better alternative. She established for herself that everyone had her own talents, and she decided to concentrate on her own.

At these meetings, Armin often caught her attention. She secretly watched him. When they came up with the plan, he was like... The plan was practically 100% his. Y/N admired his mind. She loved his mind. This was probably one of the main reasons why she fell in love with him. Apart from his caring, bottomless blue eyes and silky hair. When he was immersed in work, he forgot about all his fears and insecurities, but as soon as they left the assembly hall, shyness, isolation and uncertainty were again visible in him.

In addition to setting up the production of a new ODM for scouts, she returned to her research. She developed an experimental serum based on certain elements from Ackermann's blood and spinal fluid, which, in her opinion, could in theory temporarily increase tissue regeneration. But she only tested it under a microscope, mixing everything with her own blood. After her experiment failed, she became disillusioned with her ability to invent something big, so she spent all her remaining research in her free time. Also, during her trip to the north, she ordered a special set of spare parts for the ODM at the factory. There were no questions for her, since it was she who dealt with the issues of arming their army. She had the resources to develop experimental weapons for her personal use. Y/N didn't like being helpless, but when it came to titans, she was.

When Hange said that Y/N would also fly to Marley with them, she was confused. Although many of the weapons and equipment they took with them were designed by her and her team, however, she didn't understand the urgent need for her presence. Therefore, she insisted that she wouldn't leave the airship.

The operation has already begun. Scout groups were distributed around the Liberio area, where the fair was being held. The main stage exploded with Eren's transformation, who was currently fighting the WarHammer Titan. Y/N looked at it from afar, this titan was unusual. It didn't fight hand-to-hand like the others. The Titans fought, and the scouts fought the Marleyans. There was a strong explosion. Y/N tore her eyes away from the battle and looked at the explosion. «Armin...» Until now, it was hard to believe that he had become a titan. She saw him in action for the first time. She felt sad, now the thoughts that he had so little time left in this world have become a reality. She closed her eyes, trying to regain control and switch to something else. It's been four years. They were already so... adult. But, at nineteen, Y/N sometimes felt like she was forty. Everything that has happened in their lives since they left the cadet corps has changed them all. All of them have changed, having lost all illusions about the world around them. Y/N lost not only illusions about the world, but also about people. Before, she believed her loved ones, but... Erwin lied to her. Armin lied to her. All people lie. She understood it. And she was afraid to trust others.