Chapter 43 - Why are you doing all this?

It was a crazy day.

Y/N lay in her bed, staring at the ceiling. It was dusk outside the window, it was dark in the apartment. The thoughts in her head didn't stop. She thought about everything that had happened that day. About what was decided that day. And about what awaited them all ahead.

The war was at arm's length. And Y/N couldn't deny that she was scared. Now she felt like she didn't have time. Much was expected of her, but she couldn't put herself together. She realized long ago that war was inevitable, but now... she didn't think that everything would begin to change so rapidly.

After she came to Hange, she sat next to Mikasa for a while and was silent as she watched the conversation. The commanders of the three military divisions were alarmed. Soon, the commander-in-chief joined them. Y/N and Mikasa were worried. As it turned out later, how Mikasa ended up in this company - Eren addressed the letter to her. And Hange considered it impolite to open the letter without her knowledge.

After a couple of minutes of conversation, Hange called one of the officers from the corridor, giving him hastily written messages. Y/N saw that the situation was serious - everyone was worried. Mikasa was upset and didn't raise her head. When the Commander-in-Chief, Commandant Pyxis, and Commander Dawk left, Hange sat down at the table, sighing wearily. They lifted their head, looking at Y/N, who was looking at them anxiously, silently wondering what was going on.

- Hange, are you all right? What... what did Eren say in the letter?

Hange sighed, closing their eyes.

- We have called a military council. What Eren said... We need to coordinate our next steps.

- I... is there anything I can do to help?

- Y/N... my head is such a mess right now... If I knew what it takes to resolve this situation...

Y/N stood up and walked over to Hange. She put a hand on their shoulder, supporting them.

- If anything is required of me, you know that I'll do my best.

- I know, Y/N.

- I actually came to talk about my results... Maybe, this will come in handy. I prepared a prototype of the updated ODM and more...

- Y/N, this will definitely come in handy. I'll voice your ideas at a meeting later.

Y/N decided to prepare more information for Hange and was about to leave when she noticed Mikasa, who was still unable to move. She helped her friend recover and they left Hange's office together. They didn't talk, Y/N felt that Mikasa needed time. She couldn't stay with her now, even though she really wanted to. Y/N took Mikasa outside, placing her on a bench in a quiet corner of the courtyard of the military headquarters.

- «Mika, I understand that it's difficult for you now. When you want to talk, you know where to find me. Don't be silent, please», Y/N put her hand on her shoulder.

- I know, Y/N. Thank you... I just need to think.

Then there was a meeting where there was a heated discussion of all possible options for the development of events. There, Y/N found out what Eren had written in his message: that he had studied Marley, that he had lived among the Marleyans, that he had made contact with his brother. Eren wrote that Zeke's plan wasn't all that bad. He asked them to help him return. He asked them to declare themselves, only then their plan would work.

Opinions were divided: someone was ready to support the idea of an attack on Marley, someone doubted the adequacy of Eren. This heated discussion continued almost until the evening. Y/N felt incredibly tired. Moreover, she felt like this from the very morning, as if her body ached from the top of her head to her fingertips. From the way everyone around discussed the current situation, it became even worse. In the end, she just wanted to pass out right at the table. Her situation complicated the task given to her: as a result, in a week it was planned to hold a council with the participation of the queen and her advisers, at which it should be decided how they would act. And at this meeting, Y/N was instructed to present the new ODM that she had developed. Hange briefly described the innovations, and Commander-in-Chief Zachary was quite interested.