Chapter 35 - It's hard to watch you smile

«You know it's all a lie

And it makes me wanna cry

And I do feel alone

While I don't need to be alone»

***

Several months have passed since the first meeting with the guests from Hizuru. Hange continued to contact with Kiyomi Azumabito, but as planned, everything was done carefully, step by step. So far, both sides haven't made any promises to each other. Y/N periodically saw Hange as part of their regular meeting schedule and learned some news from them. She also met with Levi, telling him what she learned.

After meeting with people from Hizuru, Levi, as promised, helped Y/N set up a secret office for her in the Underground City. And Y/N, in return, began to study his blood. Also, she discussed with him some key points, in her opinion, which could also be the result of the fact that the Ackermanns were different from the rest of the Eldians. She was most interested in the speed of recovery of the body, wound healing, reflexes and all sorts of things... Levi didn't really like to tell all this to Y/N, but he realized that it was too late to refuse.

While examining his blood, Y/N actually noticed that the exposure of his blood to the various solutions she had been using for various tests for a long time looked different than the exposure of the same substances to her blood. The blood cells recovered much faster, as if they had an additional regenerative function that was absent in ordinary people. But the most interesting thing is that his blood didn't react to the spinal fluid of titan.

After the incident in Ragako, and when the scouts learned that it was with the help of this substance that the Eldians could be turned into titans, Y/N studied the effect of spinal fluid on her blood. Upon contact, her blood began to mutate, which means that a process of transfusion took place. And Levi's blood... Y/N found it very weird, even frightening... The contact of these two fluids did nothing. They merged and... it's all. As if blood and spinal fluid were identical. They didn't evoke any response. Y/N wanted to understand the process in more detail, but for now she just kept studying. She never had enough time for everything.

Recently, at the last meeting with Hange, Y/N learned that a trip to the mainland was being prepared. Communication with Hizuru showed that they were determined to implement Zeke's plans, and not to search for alternatives. Hange, as someone who wasn't in the habit of taking everything at their word, insisted that group of scouts go to the mainland and see with their own eyes how things were. Y/N was very intrigued by this idea. She was especially excited about the potential opportunity to buy the advanced research equipment she had read about in the books from Marley. She wanted this to happen, because then her research could advance significantly.

In terms of developments for Survey Corps, Y/N discussed with Hange her ideas for modifying the ODM, which she had been thinking about for months. Given the information she provided about technological progress, some things were getting close to being implemented. Also, Y/N was thinking about reviving the acid idea she used in Shiganshina. In addition, after a two and a half years of direct development, Hange finally agreed on the need to mass-produce thunder spears. And, of course, the organization of this process fell on Y/N, since she was the only one of those who worked on this device and survived after Shiganshina. Except for Hange, of course, but they didn't have time for that.

Y/N's life began to consist of work, and this didn't happen by her will.

***

- What a heat! It's just unbearable to work in such heat!

- And why Eren signed us all to work on the construction of the railway in such inferno!