26) Sincerest Apologies

Daiyu

I did not ponder the reason for her request to see me in her quarters. It was to bash me out. She hated my very core for reasons unbeknownst to me. Xiang had a hòugōng full of women. Surely she understood the implications of being empress meant.

I come into a heavily incensed room. Bold colors of jade and Ruby greeted my vision. It was an elegant room tucked away in the recluse of the west wing.

I postrate at her feet, showing her the upmost respect.
"Daiyu! Please rise!" She hurried me to stand. Shocked wouldn't be the choice of words I used to describe her actions.

"I must apologize for my brashness. I was very harsh for something so infantile. Please accept my sincerest apologies."

"I suppose the emperor spoke to you?" I ask.

"He did not" I could see the lie as it escaped her lips.

I nod slowly and accept it. With her, I would talk less.

"I am having a tea party for my bridesmaids next month. Then a soft spoken word the next week. Can  you play your Dizi at these events?"

"Of course empress" I smile, suspicious of the change of heart.

She pulls out a calendar and marks out a few events.

"I also have few events lined up tonight and tomorrow. Your popularity has spread throughout the Dynasty Daiyu."

I was honored but something about this didn't feel right.

"The people begged to have the Daiyu play at private events. I, of course, obliged and agreed. So you have an even lined up every night this week and the next. Actually? It looks like all month you will be busy. Isn't that wonderful!" She brandishes an threatening smile.

All these events were at night, which left me no time with Xiang.
She knew this.
She was fighting fire with fire.
I could not say no.

"Will you fufill the obligation as a duty to the kingdom. We wouldn't want to disappoint Xiang?"
Of course I had too obligé.

"Yes, your majesty. Of course"

"Wonderful!" She smiles but I could see the insincerity plaguing her eyes. I bid her farewell and run back to the hòugōng to tell Tai Lee.

——-

So I play at the party for a dignitary and his family and another party the next day. I was exhausted but I could not say no and live to tell the tale.

Xiang called for me every night but I was too tired to meet him.

It was my 8th day of performances. I was not looking forward to the performance because it had become a chore rather than a pastime.

"Daiyu?" Xiang enters into my room in the hòugōng. I was suprised to see him.

"Xiang!" he lifts me into his arms, kissing my neck with passion. "Why do I feel as if I have to track you down? You are more rare than finding a Ruby in the sea" he smirks, pushing my curls away from my face.

Xiang and I were growing distant, not by choice... well not on my end.
Everytime I had a meeting scheduled with Xiang, Mei would book me for a performance.
I was happy with this new found fame but I came home tired every night and I missed Xiang

"I heard your Dizi has charmed the masses."

"Yes" I smile but Xiang could read me like a book.

"You are not happy?"

"I dreamed of this. Playing in the palace but my reality is much different than my dream"

He nods before sitting me in his lap. "If it doesn't make you happy, then don't do it?"

His advice seemed so easy but he was the emperor! He could snap and his will would be obeyed.

"I wish it was that easy" I pout. He pulls me into his lips and we smacked carelessly, fighting for dominance until it was time for my next performance.